Recently Published Pages and Maintenance Log
In addition to tracking the addition of new pages, this log contains the maintenance history of pages that have been changed or updated since the permit toolbox was first published in February 2001. For more information on maintenance of this Website, please visit the Toolbox Maintenance Kit or the Suggestion Box.
- Guidance for Carcass Composting During a Declared Emergency This guidance document discusses regulatory pathways to facilitate on-farm composting of carcasses during a state or local emergency.
- SB 1383 Solid Waste Facility Requirements Statewide Webinar YouTube (1:04:38). On February 4, 2021, from 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM, CalRecycle hosted a statewide webinar that covered the requirements for solid waste facilities. This webinar also included a question and answer session.
- SB 1383: An Overview of the New Solid Waste Facility and Operation Standards. This PowerPoint was added to the News & Activities section on the LEA Central webpage. This PowerPoint provides guidance on the new operating standards resulting from SB 1383 for solid waste facilities and operations.
- LEA Full Permit Process and Timelines. This webpage includes a table that illustrates the general tasks and timelines for LEA processing of a full permit. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Public Notice: Informational Meetings Conducted by Enforcement Agencies. This webpage provides information and resources on informational meeting requirements for enforcement agencies. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Full Permit Application and Permit Package. This webpage summarizes the application submittal elements (aka “Laundry List”) for any facility that is required to obtain a new, modified, or revised full permit. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Permit Toolbox. The Permit Toolbox provides online tools and resources to provide guidance to local enforcement agencies (LEA), operators, applicants, and CalRecycle staff in obtaining, processing, and maintaining new and revised solid waste facility permits and completing other permit-related tasks and responsibilities. Recent changes to this webpage include adding quick menus in order to make navigation to other webpages easier and removing outdate information.
- Permitting Transfer/Processing Operations and Facilities. This webpage provides information and resources for permitting transfer/processing operations and facilities. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Permitting Compostable Material Handling Facilities and Operations. This webpage provides information and resources for permitting compostable material handling operations and facilities. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Permitting In-vessel Digestion Operations and Facilities. This webpage provides information and resources for permitting in-vessel digestion operations and facilities. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Permitting Landfills and Disposal Sites. This webpage provides information and resources for permitting landfills and disposal sites. Recent changes to this webpage include adding updated regulations resulting from SB 1383.
- Regulation Implementation Guidance. This webpage provides links that Local Enforcement Agencies may find helpful in navigating some of the solid waste facility regulations. Recent changes to this webpage include adding links to the SB 1383 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) and detailed guidance that focuses on new measurement requirements for the transfer/processing, compostable materials and in-vessel digestion regulations.
- Questions and Answers: Compostable Materials Regulations. This webpage provides responses to questions regarding the compostable materials regulations. A new section on odor was added to this webpage.
- Questions and Answers: In-vessel Digestion Regulations. This webpage provides responses to questions regarding the in-vessel digestion regulations. A new section on odor was added to this webpage.
- Guidance for Enforcement Agencies (EAs) on Hosting Virtual Public Meetings. Unforeseen circumstances may sometimes make in-person informational meetings infeasible. CalRecycle encourages EAs to consider hosting virtual public meetings to engage with the public in order to comply with informational meeting requirements and to support the timely review of SWF permit applications.
- A Field Method for Estimating the Level of Physical Contamination in Compostable Material. This webpage is intended to provide guidance and serve as one method of meeting the physical contamination requirements of 14 CCR Sections 17862.1, 17868.3.1, and 17896.61
- Questions and Answers: Cannabis Waste. This document provides responses to questions regarding the cannabis waste. New questions are added periodically.
- Odor Best Management Practice Feasibility Report. This webpage is intended to provide guidance and serve as a sample for the preparation of an odor best management practice feasibility report.
- Guidance: Emergency Waiver of Standards. This guidance provides local enforcement agencies (EA) and operators with information regarding the process for a solid waste facility operator to request a waiver of standards, permit terms and/or conditions to address changes needed to handle debris resulting from a declared emergency.
- Questions and Answers: In-Vessel Digestion Regulations. This webpage provides responses to questions regarding the in-vessel digestion regulations.”
- Guidance: Seasonal Storage Adjustment for Green Material Composting Operations. This guidance provides local enforcement agencies (EA) and operators with information regarding the seasonal storage adjustment for stabilized compost produced at green material composting operations.
- Questions and Answers–Compostable Materials Regulations. This updated webpage provides responses to questions regarding the compostable materials regulations. New questions are added periodically.
- Permitting Compostable Material Handling Facilities and Operations. This page provides information and resources for obtaining approval to operate a compostable material handling facility or operation. This page was updated to reflect the revisions of the compostable materials regulatory requirements.
- Permitting In-Vessel Digestion Facilities and Operations. This page provides information and resources for permitting an in-vessel digestion operation or facility.
- Commenting on CEQA Projects and Other Land Use Developments Adjacent to Active or Closed Solid Waste Facilities. Land use development projects may be proposed for a location adjacent to a closed or active solid waste disposal site or other solid waste operation or facility. This guidance will help clarify the ability of an LEA to comment on such a project under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- LEA Guidance: Owner/Operator Change Processing Procedures. This guidance has been developed to help local enforcement agencies (LEAs) with the process associated with notice of a plan to sell, encumber, or convey a solid waste facility ownership and/or operation to a new owner or operator, and/or change the address of a solid waste facility owner and/or operator.
- Daily/Intermediate Cover and Alternative Daily/Intermediate Cover Guidance. This guidance has been developed to assist Enforcement Agencies (EA) with daily and intermediate cover regulations for disposal sites.
- Carpet Recycling Activities LEA Guidance. This webpage has been developed to assist LEAs with the three-part test relative to used carpet recycling activities.
- Additional Storage of Recycled Materials at Solid Waste Facilities LEA Guidance. What can be done to address the potential need to store recycled materials for longer timeframes at a solid waste site? This page provides some strategies and tools to help LEAs and facility operators address the situation and reduce compliance issues.
- Writing a Solid Waste Facility Permit revised to correct numbering errors and fix a couple of typographical errors that appeared in the February 24, 2010 update.
- Writing a Solid Waste Facility Permit. This web page has been developed in coordination with LEAs and CalRecycle staff to provide guidance on how to write a solid waste facilities permit that is consistent with California Code of Regulation, Title 27 (27 CCR) and the Public Resources Code (PRC). This web page replaces LEA Advisory No. 57 and updates and clarifies information to reflect changes to the solid waste facilities permit application (CIWMB Form E-1-77) since the advisory was originally published in 1999.
- Guidance: Additional Storage of Recycled Materials at Solid Waste Facilities. This page provides guidance to help local enforcement agencies (LEA) and facility operators address the additional storage of recycled materials at solid waste facilities. The current economic slowdown is having a direct impact on solid waste facilities and their ability to move recycled materials off site to markets, resulting in an increasing need to store more processed material on site for longer periods of time.
- The Permit Implementation Regulations became effective on April 13, 2007.
- Many Permit Toolbox pages have been updated to reflect the new regulations. A Summary of the Top-10 Changes provides a concise introduction to the new regulations, including links to updated Permit Toolbox Pages, links to the updated regulations, and links to other resources.
- Reformatted the Compost Page to match other facility specific pages.
- Added TPR review checklist to Transfer Station Page.
- Added additional CEQA resources and guidance.
- Added new web page of resources and tools for exempt facilities, excluded operations, and activities not subject to regulations.
- Added more links and resources to the Compost Page.
- Added link to guidance on requesting SWIS Number for new facilities and operations from the LEA Tier/Task Table.
- Any application filed after January 1, 2005, which requires the use of form E-1-77, must be filed with the revised application form. For the full permit tier, this includes new or revised permits, permit exemptions, permit review reports, and RFI amendments. Applicable pages in the Permit Toolbox have been updated. For more information, see the rulemaking archives and the December 15, 2004 all-LEA email.
- Added link to the Public Hearing/Participation Tools from the Index and Full Permit Page (designed to provide resources for conducting AB 1497 hearings ).
- Compost Page: Added link to FAQ page, added two flowchart hand-outs to the resources, added link to recent LEA letter on compost fires, added links to chipping and grinding regulations, and added link to exempt compost site resources.
- Landfill Page: Updated links to Federal EPA Subtitle D regulations, added link to waste tire monofill regulations, and added link to recently adopted inert disposal regulations.
- Clarified guidance on the Registration Permit page regarding the reference and attachment of the completed application form to a registration permit when forwarded to CalRecycle by the LEA.
- Updated maintenance pages to reflect approval of the latest Permit Toolbox priority task list.
- Updated Conformance Finding Page and Tier Task Chart: Added clarification that transfer stations which recover less than 5 percent of the volume of materials received for reuse or recycling do not need to meet the conformance finding requirements.
- Updated Glossary and Definitions pages: Added a link to the Local Government Central Integrated Waste Management Glossary.
Updated various pages to reflect AB 1497 changes to the permit process, including the increased application review timelines for revised permits from 30 to 60 days and requirement that LEAs hold public hearings for revised full permits and for all CDI permits.
- Full Solid Waste Facility Permits
- LEA Full Permit Process and Timelines
- Full Permit Application and Permit Package “Laundry List”
- Permit Tiers/Tasks Chart
- Full Permit Flow Chart
- Added a link to the Board’s waste tire facility permitting program to the “type of facility” quick menu.
- Updated the list of initiatives that impact toolbox maintenance.
- Updated various pages effected by implementation of C&D/Inert Regulations (Phase II) effective 2/24/2004.
- Added link to DHS Compost Bioaerosols Report to the Compost Resources.
- The Permit Application Submittal Schedule (PASS) was not renewed by the Board and expired in January 2004.
- Added “authorizing eligibility” Web tool to help LEAs and applicants comply with the requirement of the notification tier.
- The EA Notification (CIWMB Form 169) was updated to include a list of “authorizing eligibility” citations on the back side.
- Added a link from the compost page to a new Web page created to answer frequently asked questions about the implementation of the compost regulations.
- Finished updating the various “permit type” pages to reflect the adopted Construction and Demolition/Inert Debris regulations.
- Deleted all links to the rescinded LEA Advisory 12.
- AB 1479, effective January 1, 2004, and all-LEA email providing interim guidance on implementing the provisions of AB 1497.
- Updated the Notification page and the RFI page to reflect new standards that require some sites in the notification tier to submit an “operations plan”.
- Updated the closure requirements and links on the full permit “laundry list”.
- Updated the table on the RFI page to reflect the new CDI regulations and added a printer friendly version of the table.
- Tire Monofill Regulations Effective 11/13/2003
- Updated the notification tier page to reflect new filing requirements that include documentation that the operator has notified the local planning department
- C&D/Inert Regulations (Phase I) Effective 8/9/2003
- Updated the Compost page: The old guidance has been removed from this page until it can be more thoroughly updated to reflect the contents of the new regulations. A notice has been inserted alerting users of the effective date of the new regs. The resources and links have been updated so that important sections of new regs can be easily located.
- Updated the list of sites that qualify for each permit tier on the full, standardized, registration, and notification pages to reflect changes in the compost regulations.
- Updated the RFI page: The chart has been updated to provide links to the new Report of Compost Site Information (RCSI) requirement and the new Odor Impact Minimization Plan (OIMP). Also added some links directly to the Transfer Station toolbox page and the Notification toolbox page.
- Waiver of Permit Terms and Conditions During Temporary Emergencies Regulations Effective 4/4/2003
- Compost Regulations Effective 4/4/2003
- Added alphabetical index of Permit Toolbox resources to the home page vertical menu.
- Added basic permit process flow chart to the home page “general permit info” side-bar.
- Updated Draft RDSI Guidance Chapter 1 and added Draft Chapter 2 and Draft Chapter 3. These will be linked from the Suggestion Box and RDSI Checklist so that LEAs can provide comments and sample language.
- Added links to Guidance on Interpretation of PRC 50001 regarding conformance findings for nondisposal facilities (from the Board’s decision at the August 2002 Board Meeting) to the Conformance Finding Page.
- Added C&D Operations to the “Facility Type” drop-down menu.
- Added sample RFI amendment documents: 1 LEA approval letter and 1 Board receipt letter.
- Added Toolbox Search Engine. The link will be added to the vertical menu that appears on most pages.
- Added 3 sample letters to the Sample Documents and Letters Page: 1 LEA Permit Issue Letter and 2 LEA Proposed Permit Cover Letters.
- Updated the Permit Toolbox Maintenance Kit.
- Added Web Page Review Guide and Form.
- Added results of 2002 LEA Permit Toolbox Survey
- Added list of resources to the bottom of the 5-year Permit Review page.
- Minor language changes to 5-year Permit Review page: 1) new links to the pages for processing full, standardized, and registration permits; 2) reminder that standardized permits will need to be submitted to the Board for concurrence.
- Added new row to Permit/Tier/Task Table: “Provide guidance to applicant and local planning agencies on permit, local land use, and CEQA.”
- Added sidebar to home page: “General Permit Information“
- Added Toolbox Maintenance Advisory Committee (tMac) Charter
- Added draft toolbox maintenance plan.
- Added toolbox maintenance information to the Suggestion Box.
- Added Transfer/Processing Station Permit Page
- Added more resources and links to the Full Permit and the Standardized Permit pages.
- Added links to referenced regulations in the Task/Tiers Chart.
- Added clarification to various pages that “days” means “calendar days” unless otherwise specified.
- Added guidance on when to submit a Conformance Finding Request Form and updated the form to include closure date information.
- New Form: There is a new form available for requesting a hearing before the local solid waste hearing panel. The form has been added to the Permit Forms page.
- Added Financial Assurance and Operating Liability page linked from the Full Permit Laundry List and from the application element Quick Menu.
- Added Application Review Chart with link from Tools Menu.
- Added Notification Tier page with link from Permit Menu.
- Added link to the recently adopted regulations for Hazardous Waste Disposal Facilities Disposing Nonhazardous, Nonputrescible, Industrial Solid Waste to the facility type Quick Menu.
- Added a link to State Clearinghouse’s CEQA notification forms in the CEQA Resources.
- LEA Advisory 21 and LEA Advisory 24 regarding permit review reports have been updated.
- The solid waste facility permit template on the permit forms page has been updated to include instructions, drop down menus, and form fields.
- General Guidelines for Amending an NDFE (Link added to Conformance Finding Resources).
- LEA review questions for conducting 5-year permit review reports.
- Added section to the CEQA page on providing a CEQA status report with a permit application.
- Added Board agenda item (July 18, 2001): Presentation of Permit Toolbox.
- Updated various links, wording, typos, and made other minor changes in response to LEA and P&E staff comments.
- Added summary to Background Page.
- Added Compost Page.
- Added Sample Documents and Letters Page.
- Updated Home Page Quick Menus.
- Added links to Quick Menus and Samples Page to vertical menu bar (green column on left side of page).
- Updated various links, wording, typos, and made other minor changes in response to LEA and P&E staff comments.
- Report of Facility Information (RFI) Page
- Report of Disposal Site Information (RDSI) Checklist Handout
- Part 1 of 9: Draft RDSI Guidance Module
- Standardized Permit Page
- Registration Permit Page
- Added “Application/Permit Element” drop-down menu to Quick Menus.
March 2001 | All LEA E-mail
- CEQA Application Submittal Requirements (with link from “laundry list”)
- Landfill Page
- Full Permit Page
- Summary of other agency permits
- What’s New Page (this page)
- List of Waste Management Acronyms
- LEA Conference Survey Summary added to Background Page.
- Request for LEA and applicant input moved to new Suggestion Box Page.
February 2001 | All LEA E-mail
- Home Page (Introductory Version)
- Full Permit Laundry List
- Full Permit Process Flow Chart
- LEA Full Permit Process and Timelines
- 5-Year Permit Review Page
- Conformance Finding Page
- Permit Task/Tiers Chart
- Demo of Drop-Down Navigation Menu (“Quick Menus” as presented at the August 2000 LEA Conference).
- Complete and Correct Page
- Background Page