Regulatory Agencies with Permitting Authority Over Solid Waste Facilities

Although a solid waste facility permit can be processed concurrent with or prior to other required permits, this does not mean that operations can commence without other local, state, or federal permits or approvals.

Those seeking to engage in a solid waste related activity should investigate the permit authority of the following agencies to determine whether they have jurisdiction over the project.

Other Agencies that Regulate Solid Waste Facilities

Local AgenciesPermit or Approval
Local Enforcement Agencies (LEA)Issues solid waste facility permit and conducts
County or City Planning DepartmentCEQA compliance, conditional use permits (CUP), land use,
zoning, siting
Public Works, Solid Waste, or other department responsible for integrated waste management planningAmendments to the
Siting Elements and Nondisposal Facility Elements of
the Integrated Waste Management Plan
Air Quality Management Districts (AQMD) or Air Pollution Control Districts (APCD)Permit to Construct and Permit to Operate
Building DepartmentBuilding Permits
Fire Protection DistrictFire Clearance

State AgenciesPermit or Approval
California Department of
Resources Recycling and Recovery
Concurs or objects to LEA issuance of Permit (or issues permit if
jurisdiction has no LEA)
Water Quality Control Boards
Waste Discharge Requirements (WDR)
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) storm
water discharge permit
Air Resources Board (ARB)Oversees AQMDs and APCDs
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Regulates hazardous waste through its permitting,
enforcement and Unified Program activities to assure the safe
storage, treatment, transportation and disposal of hazardous wastes.
California Coastal CommissionRegulate land and water uses in the coastal zone.
Department of Fish and GameManage California's diverse fish,
wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they

Permit Toolbox Home

For more information contact: LEA Support Services,