- On December 23, 2022, CalRecycle released the Pharma Sharps Referral System to submit notifications of covered entities not listed on CalRecycle’s webpage. The referral system also supports reporting concerns related to the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship program.
- On December 20, 2022, CalRecycle issued compliance determinations for The Drug Takeback Solutions Foundation’s covered drugs and home-generated sharps waste stewardship plans.
- On December 16, 2022, The Drug Takeback Solutions Foundation submitted revised annual program budgets for covered drug and home-generated sharps waste to meet conditions in the respective Requests for Approval (drugs / sharps).
- On November 15, 2022, CalRecycle issued compliance determinations for MED-Project’s and UltiMed’s revised home-generated sharps waste stewardship plans and for MED-Project’s revised 2021 annual report for home-generated sharps waste.
California has industry-run statewide stewardship programs that provide safe and convenient disposal options for pharmaceutical and home-generated sharps waste at no cost to the consumer. Click here to watch a short video about the program or see the law and regulations for details.
Where and How Do I Dispose of Pharmaceuticals?
- MED-Project: map of authorized collection sites and mail-back services
- The Drug Takeback Solutions Foundation: map of authorized collection sites and mail-back services
How Do I Dispose of Home-Generated Sharps Waste?
Resources and Contact Information
- Listserv: Subscribe to sign up for email updates related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law. You can review previous messages by visiting the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv Archive.
- Public Notices: For public notices related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law (e.g., department decisions regarding regulations, plan approval, etc.) please visit the CalRecycle public notices page.
- CalRecycle Contact: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or more information.
- Board of Pharmacy Contact: Please contact BOPstewardship@dca.ca.gov for questions or to submit information, pursuant to sections 42031 and 42032(b)(1) of the Public Resources Code.
- California Department of Public Health Contact: Please contact MedicalWaste@cdph.ca.gov for questions.
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control: Please visit this webpage and contact PharmStewardship@dtsc.ca.gov for questions.