Mattress Product Management
California’s Mattress Stewardship Program ensures used mattresses, box springs, and futons are reused, recycled, or properly disposed. CalRecycle oversees the program, which is run by Mattress Recycling Council (MRC), the nonprofit stewardship organization created by mattress manufacturers, renovators, and retailers.
- On March 29, 2023, CalRecycle approved Mattress Recycling Council’s revised Used Mattress Recycling and Recovery Plan. Visit CalRecycle’s Mattress Stewardship Plans page for more information.
- On January 9, 2023, MRC submitted its revised Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan to resolve the issue identified in CalRecycle’s November 15, 2022, Request for Action.
Read about the mattress law and regulations, and statewide recycling goals.
Watch a short video about the mattress program.
Mattress Recycling Council (MRC)
The MRC is required to submit:
- A plan that describes how it will run the program
- Annual reports summarizing program activities
- Annual budgets demonstrating how the program is funded each year
The Mattress Recycling Council’s Advisory Committee consults on MRC plans, annual reports, and budgets.
Where Do I Recycle Mattresses?
2021 Program Highlights
million mattresses collected since program started in 2016
million mattresses collected in 2021
diverted from landfill through recycling, renovation, and biomass conversion
million pounds of mattress materials diverted
California residents had convenient access to the program within 15 miles of their home
mattress drop-off sites in California
Mattress Stewardship Information
Manufacturers, Retailers, Recyclers, and Renovators
- For general mattress program questions, contact email@example.com
- To report a suspected issue, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- CalRecycle Enforcement Staff
- Mattress Recycling Council Contact Page
This page is not intended to provide legal determinations or contain a comprehensive list of legal requirements.