The Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act requires the CalRecycle Director to appoint an advisory committee to be part of the mattress recycling organization. Per Public Resources Code section 42987(a)(3)(A), the advisory committee may be comprised of members of the environmental community, solid waste industry, local government, and public and private representatives involved in the collection, processing and recycling of used mattresses, and other interested parties. Statute does not limit the number of members that may serve on the advisory committee, therefore CalRecycle has discretion to appoint as many individuals as it deems warranted to ensure sufficient composition and representation.
Duties of Advisory Committee:
- Provide consultation to the MRC pursuant to section 42987(a)(3) of the Public Resources Code:
- At least once during the development and implementation of the MRC’s plan required pursuant to section 42987.1;
- Annually prior to the MRC’s submittal of an annual report required pursuant to section 42990.1; and
- Annually prior to the MRC’s submittal of an annual budget required pursuant to section 42988.
- Prepare a report, which includes a summary of the consultative process between the advisory committee and the MRC during the development of the MRC’s plan, as well as any other information deemed pertinent by the advisory committee to maximizing the recovery and recycling of used mattresses in the state.
- Prepare a report that includes a summary of the consultative process between the advisory committee and the MRC relating to the ongoing implementation of the plan, as well as any other information deemed pertinent by the advisory committee to maximizing the recovery and recycling of used mattresses in the state.
Mattress Advisory Committee Members (as of June 2021):
- Joanne Brasch, Special Projects Manager, California Product Stewardship Council
- Jordan Wells, Assistant Director, National Stewardship Action Council
Solid Waste Industry
- Veronica Pardo, Regulatory Affairs Director, Resource Recovery Coalition of California
- Christopher Gibson, Environmental Manager, Recology
- Rebecca Rasmussen, Infrastructure Policy Analyst, Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti, City of Los Angeles
- David Goldstein, Recycling Market Development Zone Administrator, Ventura County
- Larry Sweetser, Consultant, Environmental Services Joint Powers Authority
Private representatives involved in the collection, processing, and recycling of used mattresses
- Don Franco, Jr., Vice President, Gateway Mattress Co., Inc.
- Terry McDonald, Executive Director, St. Vincent de Paul Society of Lane Co., Inc.
Other interested parties
- Scott Higgins, Vice President Store Execution West, Mattress Firm