Designers and builders have a strong influence on the products and processes that are used in construction and renovation projects. By addressing building aspects related to conservation, energy efficiency, and the quality of indoor environments, designers and builders can create spaces that are healthy for the earth and the people inhabiting them. Not only are green processes good for the environment, they can be cost-effective in the overall scheme of the client’s bottom line.
Here’s a list of resources that can help you green your project.
- American Institute of Architect’s Committee on the Environment has green building and energy-efficiency resources for architects.
- American Society of Interior Designers’ (ASID) Sustainable Design Information Center. Website for design professional contains a variety of information and resources on sustainable and green design issues.
- International Interior Design Association’s Green Track. Sustainable building information and resources for interior designers.
- The Alameda County Waste Management Authority provides information and resources aimed at building professionals.
Product Resources for Designers/ Specifiers/ Builders
- Energy Star products. To locate products that meet Energy Star requirements.
- Green Seal’s Chose Green Reports. Product recommendations.
- GreenSpec. Listings of product information for environmental purchasing (subscription required).
- Greenguard. A third party, nonprofit organization testing emissions for interior products (free registration required).