The Plastic Pollution Prevention and Packaging Producer Responsibility Act (SB 54, Allen, Chapter 75, Statutes of 2022) requires the Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) to select and approve a producer responsibility organization (PRO) for the purposes of complying with the producer requirements of the statute.
Pursuant to Public Resources Code (PRC) 42051(a), CalRecycle is required to accept applications from any entity seeking to serve as the PRO and CalRecycle is required to determine which proposed PRO can most effectively implement this chapter. Thus, CalRecycle has developed this application.
Applications are due on or before January 01, 2024, at 11:59 PM PDT. This statutorily mandated deadline will not be extended.
All application materials are deemed public records, pursuant to the California Public Records Act (Division 10 (commencing with Section 7920.000) of Title 1 of the Government Code). To promote transparency, CalRecycle will be making portions of the application publicly available. To help facilitate the process, CalRecycle requests applicants to ensure the following:
- All documents are in compliance with GOV 7405 and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 published in 2008 by the Web Accessibility Initiative of the World Wide Web Consortium at a minimum Level AA success criteria.
- Identify information that is deemed confidential and explain why the information should be kept confidential.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For electronic submission, download the application form. Type your responses into the electronically fillable form and save the final version as a PDF document. Once you have completed the application, continue with submission using this platform.
In addition to the completed application form, CalRecycle requests applicants to upload copies of the following documents:
- The organization’s valid 501(c)(3) determination letter or the organization’s valid 501(c)(3) affirmation letter.
- The organization’s Articles of Incorporation of a Nonprofit.
- The organization’s bylaws.
- An organizational chart, including number of positions, titles, and the city and state where staff are based.
Additionally, applicants are requested to upload the following documents if applicable:
- Copies of most recent audit reports.
- Upload a copy of the organization’s Internal Revenue Service Form 990.
Note: This online submission platform does not allow applicants to save their work. Please have all documents ready to upload before starting your submission.