The following links provide access to recent articles, research, studies, and fact sheets that specifically examine the potential health and environmental risks associated with various tire-derived product types. These references are also included in the literature review mentioned directly below.
Tire-Derived Product Performance Literature Review–Results of an extensive literature review undertaken by R.W. Beck in 2009 to identify publications relevant to tire-derived product performance and research addressing health and environmental concerns, and life cycle costs for marketing purposes. The spreadsheet indicates the name of identified articles, source/author, applicable product types, and where the article can be found online, if available.
- Air Quality Survey of Synthetic Turf Fields Containing Crumb Rubber Infill (March 2009)
- An Assessment of Chemical Leaching, Releases to Air and Temperature at Crumb-Rubber Infilled Synthetic Turf Fields (May 2008)
- A Review of the Potential Health and Safety Risks from Synthetic Turf Fields Containing Crumb Rubber Infill (May 2008). Prepared for New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene by TRC.
- Connecticut Department of Public Health Fact Sheet on ArtificialTurf Fields (October 2007)
- Crumb Infill and Turf Characterization for Trace Elements and Organic Materials (October 2011) Prepared for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection by the Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
- Article by the Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute published in Risk Analysis.
- Government and Agency Position Papers Regarding Health and Environmental Impacts
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Questions and Answers Regarding Artificial Turf
- New York State Department of Health Fact Sheet on Crumb Rubber Used as Infill Material in Athletic Fields in Synthetic Turf Fields (August 2008)
- OEHHA Artificial Turf Study–The Office of Environmental Health Hazards Assessment (OEHHA) has been contracted to study the health effects of the new generation of artificial turf playing fields.
- Review of the Human Health and Ecological Safety of Exposure to Recycled Tire Rubber Found at Playgrounds and Synthetic Turf Fields (August 2013). Prepared for the Rubber Manufacturers Association by Chem Risk, Inc.
- Review of the Impacts of Crumb Rubber in Artificial Turf Applications (February 2010). Rachel Simon, University of California, Berkeley. Prepared for The Corporatio for Manufacturing Excellence (Manex)
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection–Preliminary Assessment of the Toxicity from Exposure to Crumb Rubber (June 2007). Abstract
- The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station–Examination of Crumb Rubber Produced from Recycled Tires (August 2007)
- Evaluation of Health Effects of Recycled Waste Tires in Playground and Track Products (January 2007)–Note: this document also addresses rubber mulch products.
- Review of the Human Health and Ecological Safety of Exposure to Recycled Tire Rubber Found at Playgrounds and Synthetic Turf Fields (August 2013)
Disclaimer: CalRecycle makes no warranty, express or implied, and assumes no liability for the information provided in this website. References to individual businesses and their commercial products do not constitute an endorsement by CalRecycle. The information contained in this website is not complete, and is provided as a convenience to our website visitors and for informational purposes only.