What is the Diversion Programs System (DPS)?
The Diversion Programs System database contains information about the types of programs implemented by local governments to reduce waste creation, to divert waste away from landfills, and to prevent disposal of household hazardous waste (HHW). The Diversion Programs System pulls waste diversion and HHW program information from each jurisdiction’s:
- Annual report
- Source reduction and recycling element (SRRE)
- Household hazardous waste element (HHWE)
CalRecycle’s local assistance staff updates the Diversion Programs System when jurisdictions submit new annual reports or revised program information.
What Can the Diversion Programs System Do for You?
The Diversion Programs System helps local governments discern waste diversion and HHW program trends and compare programs among jurisdictions. The Diversion Programs System program listings show what programs a jurisdiction selected in its plans, what programs are implemented, whether the programs still operate, and if not, why. The Diversion Programs System Summary Reports show how many jurisdictions statewide implemented a particular type of diversion program in any given year. Jurisdictions can use the Diversion Programs System when preparing annual reports and reviewing waste diversion and HHW program data. Business owners and the general public can use the Diversion Programs System to review local waste reduction options.
Diversion Programs System Summary Reports
The Diversion Programs System reports page gives reports about a jurisdiction’s programs, status, and a summary of waste diversion programs. DPS terms and codes that help you understand the reports are defined below.
Terms and Codes
The lists and definitions below may help in understanding information in the DPS program reports.
- Status Codes: Show the operational status of a waste diversion or HHW program selected by a jurisdiction for an individual year.
- Reason Codes: Explain why a jurisdiction discontinued or opted not to implement a waste diversion or HHW program.
- Program Codes Glossary: Defines the categories of waste diversion programs and HHW used in the Diversion Programs System’s jurisdiction program list.
Where to Go for Help
If you have additional questions please contact local assistance staff.
For more information contact: Local Assistance & Market Development, LAMD@calrecycle.ca.gov or (916) 341-6199.