The RMDZ Loan Program was established under Senate Bill 2310 (Bergeson, Statutes of 1990, Chapter 1543) and statutes are located in Public Resources Code section 42010-42024. The regulations are located in the California Code of Regulations Article 1.1 and Article 1.2. The RMDZ Eligibility Criteria was revised on December 20, 2018.
The RMDZ Loan Program assists local jurisdictions in achieving or assuring continued compliance with several mandates:
- Assembly Bill 939 (Statutes of 1989): Divert waste materials from landfills by 50 percent by July 1, 2000.
- Assembly Bill 341 (Statutes of 2011): Target goal of 75 percent waste diversion by the year 2020.
- Assembly Bill 1826 (Statutes of 2014): Organic waste recycling legislation requires a business to arrange for organic waste recycling services of 4 cubic yards or more beginning January 1, 2017, and potentially 2 cubic yards or more beginning January 1, 2020.
- Senate Bill 254 (Statutes of 2013) and Senate Bill 1274 (Statues of 2014): The Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act aims to reduce illegal dumping, increase recycling, and substantially reduce public agency costs for the end-of-use management of used mattresses. The legislation established an industry-run, statewide program to increase the recovery and recycling of mattresses at their end-of-use.
- Senate Bill 1383 (Statutes of 2013)PDF download: The bill contains the target goal reduce organic waste in landfills of 50-percent reduction in the level of the statewide disposal of organic waste from the 2014 level by 2020, and a 75-percent reduction in the level of the statewide disposal of organic waste from the 2014; and promote job growth and local economic benefits in the state.
- Assembly Bill 1694 (Statutes of 2014): Commencing January 1, 2020, the use of green material as alternative daily cover does not constitute diversion through recycling and shall be considered disposal, that will need to be diverted from landfills.
For more information contact: Zone Assistance Regional Zone Contacts, LAMD@calrecycle.ca.gov.