SB 54 Needs AssessmentPlastic Pollution Prevention and Packaging Producer Responsibility Act Needs Assessment
The Plastic Pollution Prevention and Packaging Producer Responsibility Act (SB 54, Allen, Chapter 75, Statutes of 2022) requires CalRecycle to collaboratively develop a statewide needs assessment (PRC Section 42067) that identifies actions and investments needed to:
- Cut California’s single-use plastic packaging and plastic food service ware
- Increase reuse and refill and
- Recycle or compost the rest
Assess & Evaluate Life Cycle of Materials
Producers Draft Plan to Meet Goals
Goals Achieved to Reduce Packaging Pollution by 2032
- 25% Less Produced
- 65% Recycling Rate
- 100% Recyclable or Compostable
Needs Assessment Development
The needs assessment will evaluate the life cycle of materials covered by SB 54, including:
- Product design
- Reuse, refill, recycling, and composting systems
- Responsible end markets
CalRecycle will develop the needs assessment with analysis by:
- CalRecycle staff
- Third-party contractors
CalRecycle anticipates releasing the initial needs assessment in late 2025.
CalRecycle is required to update the needs assessment every five years or as needed.
Producer Responsibility Organization
Information gleaned from this needs assessment will guide the Producer Responsibility Organization’s budget and plan detailing how California will meet the packaging and plastic pollution reduction goals of SB 54.
The producer responsibility organization is a nonprofit made up of producers of single-use packaging and plastic food service ware covered by SB 54. This organization is tasked with creating and implementing the plan to meet the SB 54 goals.
Needs Assessment Timeline
Collaborative Development of
Every 5 Years or As Necessary
To ensure the needs assessment reflects the diverse needs faced by California’s urban, suburban, and rural communities, and different socioeconomic perspectives, CalRecycle will collaborate with interested parties:
- Producer responsibility organization
- SB 54 advisory board
- Local governments
- Recycling and composting service providers
- Haulers and other transporters
Scope of the Needs Assessment
Under the statute, CalRecycle must perform analyses on many different topics, including:
- Design of materials covered by SB 54
- Source reduction, reuse, and refill
- Processing for recycling
- Processing for organics recycling
- Responsible end markets
- Consumer education
- Public health and environmental justice
- Funding needs and actions to meet goals
CalRecycle Will Conduct the Needs Assessment in Two Phases
Phase 1 includes evaluating the current system for managing materials covered by the law:
- Current systems for recycling, composting, collection and hauling, including:
- Processing capacity
- Existing access to on-premises recycling and composting for multi-family residences.
- Current market conditions and availability of responsible end markets.
- Existing state laws and funding sources.
Phase 2 includes identifying the actions and investments needed to meet the mandates of SB 54:
- Provide sufficient access to:
- Expand and create viable, responsible end markets
- Achieve the source reduction requirements, including investments needed to develop infrastructure for:
- Improve the design of materials covered by SB 54 to make them more recyclable and compostable.
- Educate consumers on recycling, composting, reuse, and reduction.
- Avoid and minimize environmental and public health impacts on communities.