Legacy Disposal Site Abatement Partial Grant Program
The Legacy Disposal Site Abatement Partial Grant Program provides financial assistance to assist public entities accelerate the pace of cleanup and restore sites and protecting public health and safety and the environment by maintaining public landfill sites in compliance with state regulations and standards.
Eligible applicants include:
- Public entities, including:
- State agencies, and
- Joint Powers Authorities.
Eligible projects include the remediation of disposal sites closed in accordance with the local laws at the time of the closure and prior to implementation of the State’s current permitting and/or closure requirements for landfills and disposal sites.
- $1,500,000 available for each fiscal year.
- Up to $750,000 is the maximum available per applicant per fiscal year (FY).
- Waste removal and disposal.
- Security measures such as fences, barriers, warning signs, and other measures to prevent recurring illegal dumping at the remediated sites.
- These prevention measures and staff time are limited to no more than 25 percent of the overall grant amount. These measures can include public information materials.
- Site grading and drainage controls to minimize erosion.
- Slope and foundation stabilization.
- Excavation, consolidation, and capping of waste areas.
- Installation of landfill gas and leachate control systems.
- Field and laboratory testing
- Health and safety measures required for eligible project work.
These costs may include but are not limited to:
- Expenditures for contractors
- Public agency labor
- Rental equipment
- Preparation of designs or
- Consultant services directly associated with an eligible cost item.
Upcoming Grant Cycle
Application materials for fiscal year (FY) 2024-25 will tentatively be available Fall 2024.