California has industry-run statewide stewardship programs that provide safe and convenient disposal options for pharmaceutical waste at no cost to the consumer.
Where and How Do I Dispose of Pharmaceuticals?
- MED-Project: map of authorized collection sites and mail-back services
- The Drug Takeback Solutions Foundation: map of authorized collection sites and mail-back services
See the Pharmaceutical Waste Stewardship Plan page for more information on the status of the programs.
Resources and Contact Information
- Listserv: Click here to sign up for email updates related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law. You can review previous messages by visiting the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv Archive.
- Public Notices: For public notices related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law (e.g., department decisions regarding regulations, plan approval, etc.) please visit the CalRecycle public notices page.
- CalRecycle Contact: Please contact email@example.com for questions or more information.
- Board of Pharmacy Contact: Please contact BOPstewardship@dca.ca.gov for questions, or to submit information pursuant to sections 42031 and 42032(b)(1) of the Public Resources Code.
- California Department of Public Health Contact: Please contact MedicalWaste@cdph.ca.gov for questions.
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control: Please visit this webpage and contact PharmStewardship@dtsc.ca.gov for questions