The application period for fiscal year (FY) 2020-21 is now closed.
Awards | Eligibility | Funding | Timeline and Cycle Details
The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers a program to provide opportunities for the beverage container recycling and litter cleanup activities. Pursuant to Public Resources Code Section 14581(a)(3)(A) of the California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act, CalRecycle is distributing $10,500,000 in fiscal year 2020-21 to eligible cities and counties specifically for beverage container recycling and litter cleanup activities.
FY 2020-21| Approval of Awards, April 7, 2021
- Eligible applicants include cities, counties, or cities and counties in California, as identified by the California Department of Finance, unless otherwise determined by CalRecycle.
- New or existing curbside recycling programs.
- Neighborhood drop-off recycling programs
- Public education promoting beverage container recycling.
- Litter prevention and cleanup where the waste stream includes beverage containers that will be recycled.
- Cooperative regional efforts among two or more cities or counties, or both.
- Other beverage container recycling programs.
- Supporting AB 341 Mandatory Commercial Recycling requirements. For additional information on MCR and definitions of “businesses” and “multi-family residential dwellings” as they relate to this regulation, see Mandatory Commercial Recycling.
- Infrastructure for businesses to recycle beverage containers.
- Support for new or existing beverage container recycling programs for multi-family residential dwellings.
- Public education and outreach that includes a beverage container-recycling component.
- $10,500,000 available for fiscal year (FY) 2020-21.
- Cities are eligible to receive a minimum of $5,000 and counties are eligible to receive a minimum of $10,000 per grant award.
- The calculation is based upon the population in the incorporated areas of a city, or a city and county, or the unincorporated area of a county as of January 1, 2020. (Department of Finance E-1 Population Estimates for cities, Counties and the State with Annual Percent Change–January 1, 2019 and 2020. Sacramento, California, May 2020.)
Timeline and Cycle Details
|Dates||Activity and Details|
|October 19, 2020||Funding Request Open Date and Access
If you are unable to access CAPRS or need assistance you may send an email to email@example.com or call 916-322-0613.
|January 19, 2021||Funding Request Due Date
Payment Awards and Beginning of Term (Request for Approval Date)
|June-July 2021||Payments Distributed|
|March 1, 2023||Term End Date|
|April 3, 2023||Reporting Due Date|
Beverage Container Recycling City/County Payment Program Homepage
For more information contact: Beverage Container Program, https://calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/Contacts/