Beverages Included (“In”) in the Program:
The following beverages are considered covered under the Beverage Container and Litter Reduction Act (Act), §14504(a), and require a California Redemption Value (CRV) message if sold or transferred in one of the following container material types: Aluminum, Glass, Plastics #1- #7, or Bimetal:
- Beer and Malt Beverages
- Wine Coolers and distilled spirit coolers
- Carbonated Fruit Drinks
- Noncarbonated Fruit drinks that contain any percentage of fruit juice
- Carbonated water, including soda and carbonated mineral water
- Coffee and tea beverages
- Noncarbonated water, including noncarbonated mineral water
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Noncarbonated Soft Drink
- Vegetable Juice (16oz and under only)
- “Sport” drinks
Beverages Excluded (“Out”) from the Program:
Pursuant to section 14504(b): “Beverage” does not include any of the following:
- Any product sold in a container that is not an aluminum beverage container, a glass container, a plastic beverage container, or a bimetal container
- Wine, or wine from which alcohol has been removed, in whole or in part, whether or not sparkling or carbonated
- Milk, medical food, or infant formula
- One hundred percent fruit juice in containers that are 46 ounces or more in volume
Beverage manufacturers are responsible for properly labeling beverage containers, which are determined to be “in” the program. A qualifying beverage container sold or offered for sale in the state must have one of the following five CRV messages and meet the minimum labeling requirements for placement, size, visibility etc. (see link below):
- CALIFORNIA REDEMPTION VALUE
- CA REDEMPTION VALUE
- CALIFORNIA CASH REFUND
- CA CASH REFUND
- CA CRV
California Beverage Container Labeling. This flyer shows detailed labeling requirements.
Submitting your product/label for review:
In order to ensure that your container complies with the requirements listed above, we ask that an empty sample container for each beverage is sent to CalRecycle for verification. Upon determination, we will provide you with a letter showing what container labels were approved or not approved.
Please mail the product to:
Beverage Container Certification & Registration Branch
Industry Services Section
Attn: Registration Unit
801 K St, 17th Floor, MS 17-03
Sacramento, CA 95814
Or you can email a copy of the entire label(s) (except for cans) in a digital format (.pdf) with the dimensions of the label(s) and container material type to Reg.CRVLabeling@Calrecycle.ca.gov.
In either case, be sure to include your name, address, telephone number and if applicable, your participant identification number.
The requirements listed above do not cover every aspect of the law. It is the responsibility of the beverage manufacturer and distributor to read and understand the statute and all applicable regulations. Failure to comply with the statute (Act) and/or regulations may result in fines and possible civil penalties. If you need clarification, please call the Registration Unit at (916) 323-1835.