Beverages Included (“In”) in the Program:
CRV Labeling Required:
The following beverages are considered covered under the Beverage Container and Litter Reduction Act (Act), §14504(a), and require a California Redemption Value (CRV) message if packaged in a covered container material and sold or transferred in California:
- Beer and Malt Beverages
- Wine Coolers and distilled spirit coolers 7% Alcohol by Volume (ABV) or less
- Carbonated Fruit Drinks
- Noncarbonated Fruit drinks that contain any percentage of fruit juice
- Carbonated water, including soda and carbonated mineral water
- Coffee and tea beverages
- Noncarbonated water, including noncarbonated mineral water
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Noncarbonated Soft Drink
- 100% Fruit Juice in containers that are under 46 ounces
- 100% Vegetable Juice (16oz and under only)
- “Sport” drinks
Effective January 1/2024, the products below will be included under the Act. With limited exceptions, Beverage Manufacturers are required to have these products labeled with a CRV message by July 1, 2025.
- 100% Fruit Juice in containers that are 46 ounces and greater
- 100% Vegetable Juice over 16oz
- Wine and Distilled Spirit Coolers with ABV greater than 7% ABV
- Distilled spirits
- Wine, or wine from which alcohol has been removed, in whole or part, whether or not sparkling or carbonated
- Wine or distilled spirits in a box, bladder, pouch or similar container
Beverages Excluded (“Out”) from the Program:
No CRV Labeling:
The following beverages are not covered under the Act. These containers should not have a CRV message when sold or transferred in California:
Pursuant to section 14504(b): “Beverage” does not include any of the following:
- With the exception of wine and distilled spirits, any product sold in a container that is not an aluminum beverage container, a glass container, a plastic beverage container, or a bimetal container
- Milk, medical food, or infant formula, or
- Refillable beverage containers, as defined in PRC 14525, which are ordinarily returned to the manufacturer to be refilled and resold – PRC14561(b)
Beverages Included (“In”) in the Program
Exempt from CRV labeling:
- Wine, Distilled Spirits and Wine and Distilled Spirit Coolers over 7% ABV filled and labeled before January 1, 2024.
- 100% Fruit Juice 46 ounces and greater and 100% Vegetable Juice over 16oz filled and labeled before July 1, 2024.
Beverage manufacturers are responsible for properly labeling beverage containers, which are determined to be “in” the program. A qualifying, non-exempt, beverage container sold or offered for sale in the state must have one of the following five CRV messages and meet the minimum labeling requirements for placement, size, visibility etc. (see link below):
- CALIFORNIA REDEMPTION VALUE
- CA REDEMPTION VALUE
- CALIFORNIA CASH REFUND
- CA CASH REFUND
- CA CRV
California Beverage Container Labeling. This flyer shows detailed labeling requirements.
Regulation requirements for labeling Box, Bladder Pouch containers are pending.
Submitting your product/label for review:
In order to ensure that your container complies with the requirements listed above, you may submit product labels by email or mail for review by CalRecycle. Once the review is complete, you will receive a letter indicating if your container labels were approved or not approved for use in California.
To submit labels by email:
JPG or PDF digital images can be emailed to: Reg.CRVLabeling@Calrecycle.ca.gov
- The best images are the die line artwork/proof sheets in 300 ppi resolution that specifies the exact height/width dimensions.
- Non die line images: include exact height/width dimension of the label.
- Plastic containers: include a picture of the resin code triangle located on the bottom of the container.
- Aluminum or Bi-Metal cans: include additional picture of the can lid, & lid diameter.
The email should include your name, address, telephone number and if applicable, your participant identification number. Please also include a description of the container material. Examples: aluminum, glass, plastic (with resin number), bi-metal, aseptic, multilayer pouch, etc.
To submit containers with labels attached by mail:
Attn: Registration Unit
1001 I Street, MS10C
Sacramento, CA 95814
Please include your name, address, telephone number, email and if applicable, your participant identification number.
The requirements listed above do not cover every aspect of the law. It is the responsibility of the beverage manufacturer and distributor to read and understand the statute and all applicable regulations. Failure to comply with the statute (Act) and/or regulations may result in fines and possible civil penalties. If you need clarification, please call the Registration Unit at (916) 323-1835.