Registered Generators


If you purchase lubricating oil to use in equipment that you own or operate, you may qualify to register as an industrial generator eligible to:

  • File claims and
  • Receive 16 cents a gallon for all the used lubricating oil you recycle.

Who is eligible to be a registered generator?

An industrial used oil generator buys and uses lubricating oil only for equipment they own or use themselves (Public Resources Code Section 48614). You may be an industrial generator if, as part of your day-to-day business operations:

  1. You use automobiles, buses, trucks, planes, trains, heavy equipment, or other machinery powered by an internal combustion engine.
  2. Your business changes the lubricating oil in these vehicles or heavy equipment.
  3. The used oil is transferred to a certified recycling facility by a used oil hauler.

Those who change oil in vehicles NOT owned or used by themselves, like service stations, may become certified collection centers if they accept used oil from the public and offer used oil collection incentives.

How do I register?

Private businesses, local governments, or special districts may register as:

  • Industrial generators or
  • Registered curbside collection programs

To register, complete a Registration Application (Form 30) and mail it to:

Used Oil Recycling, MS-10E
California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)
PO Box 4025
Sacramento, CA 95812-4025

Once CalRecycle confirms you are registered, you must submit a reimbursement claim to receive payment of the recycling incentive.

Claiming the Incentive | Forms

For more information contact: Certified Collection Center, or Household Hazardous Waste,