The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) provides the Rubberized Pavement (Pavement) Grant Program, formerly called the Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) Grant Program, to promote markets for recycled-content surfacing products derived from waste tires generated in California and decrease the adverse environmental impacts created by unlawful disposal and stockpiling of waste tires. RAC is a proven road paving material that has been used in California since the 1970s. It is made by blending ground tire rubber with asphalt binder which is then mixed with conventional aggregate materials.
Under the Pavement Grant Program, the Targeted RAC Incentive Grant and RAC Chip Seal Grant have been consolidated into one grant with two project types–RAC and Chip Seal projects.
The program provides competitive grants to encourage first-time or limited users of RAC. It is available to public entities which include: California cities, counties, regional park districts, special districts, Joint Powers Authorities, state agencies (including offices, departments, bureaus, and boards) and Qualifying Indian Tribes.
Join the Pavement Listserv to be notified by email for program updates and when funding becomes available.
Application materials for fiscal year (FY) 2023–24 were due September 13, 2023.
Note: “TRP” followed by a number is the cycle code for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program.
- FY 2022-23 (Cycle 15): Application Information | TRP15 Awards
- FY 2021-22 (Cycle 14): Application Information | TRP14 Awards
- FY 2020-21 (Cycle 13): Application Information | TRP13 Awards
- FY 2019-20 (Cycle 12): Application Information | TRP12
- FY 2018-19 (Cycle 10, 11): TRP10 Awards | TRP11 Awards
- FY 2017-18 (Cycle 9): TRP9 Awards
- FY 2016-17 (Cycles 7, 8): TRP7 Awards | TRP8 Awards
- FY 2015-16 (Cycle 6): TRP6 Awards
- FY 2014-15 (Cycle 5): TRP5 Awards
- FY 2013-14 (Cycle 4) (Application Information and TRP4 Awards)
- FY 2012-13 (Cycle 3) (Application Information and TRP3 Awards)
- FY 2011-12 (Cycles 1, 2) (Application Information and TRP1 and TRP2 Awards)
- Prior to FY 2011-12 CalRecycle offered separate grants for RAC and Chip Seal projects.
For more information, contact Cathy.Aggergaard@calrecycle.ca.gov.