Questions and Answers: Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program HD34 (FY 2020–21)

Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program HD34 application were accepted in writing only, no later than March 2, 2020. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

The question and answer period is now closed for this grant cycle. All questions and answers are posted on this site.



1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?

An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but it is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant.

A regional applicant is comprised of two or more eligible jurisdictions, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the Grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and submitting all required documentation. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it cannot submit an individual application.

Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs) may submit a grant application as an individual applicant by submitting a copy of its joint powers agreement. However, because they represent multiple public entities, JPAs are afforded the same maximum grant award as a regional applicant. An entity may not submit an individual application if that entity is also a member of an applicant JPA. Please refer to the “Eligible Applicants” section in the Application Guidelines and Instructions Revised April 2020.

2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed email upon award of a Cycle 34 grant?

CalRecycle staff anticipates awarding grants in July 2020.  Notice to Proceed letters will be sent in August/September 2020, after the Grant Agreement is executed.

3. What is your definition of unserved communities? What if a jurisdiction is using another city’s facility through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (it is far away and not convenient)? Does this qualify as unserved?

If the jurisdiction has neither Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection services nor an existing HHW facility within the community, it would be considered underserved.


1. What does it mean for an eligible construction project to be “shovel ready” and shown as beyond the planning phase? For our project, the construction company would obtain the permit, not the jurisdiction.?

The applicant must show that it has completed, with proof, the proper site analysis, conceptual design, necessary permits, licensing and siting approvals when submitting the application. The project must be “shovel ready” and ready to start at the time grant funds are awarded. Please refer to the “Eligible Projects/Products section of the Application Guidelines and Instructions Revised April 2020.


No questions were submitted in this category.


No questions were submitted in this category.

For more information contact: Used Oil & Household Hazardous Waste,