Questions and Answers: Rubberized Pavement Grant Program (FY 2021-22)

The question and answer period is now closed for this grant cycle. All questions and answers are posted on this site.

Questions about the Rubberized Pavement Program grant application were accepted in writing only, no later than September 8, 2021. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.


    1. How is this grant solicitation different from last year?

      CalRecycle has not made any programmatic revisions to the solicitation for TRP14. However, last fiscal year, CalRecycle adopted several important eligibility criteria and evaluation process changes. As specified in the approved revised Criteria Request for Approval (RFA), changes were made in three areas: (1) leveraging other CalRecycle goals, (2) improved customer service and user-friendly process, and (3) funding. The details of these changes are quoted below.

      • Leveraging Other CalRecycle Goals
        • Require evidence that applicable public works staff participate in web-based tire-derived aggregate (TDA) training.
        • Require the applicant (and participating entities if a joint application) to implement best management practices regarding its vehicle and equipment fleet.
        • Provide an optional ranking inducement for either committing to the evaluation of specific materials/products (via a Letter) or adopting a policy(ies) that further specific CalRecycle and environmental goals.
      • Customer Service and User-Friendly Process
        • Base grant awards on estimated tons of asphalt rubber hot-mix and square yards of rubberized chip seal (street listing was previously required).
        • Eliminate the reimbursement of the full cost difference between asphalt rubber hot-mix (RAC) and conventional asphalt (AC).
      • Funding
        • Restrict grantees from applying the year following TRP13 award.
        • Limit eligible applicants to a maximum of six total asphalt rubber hot-mix or rubberized chip seal grants.
        • Reduce the maximum grant amount to $250,000 for individual applicants and $350,000 for joint applicants.
        • Rank joint grantees that expend less than 50 percent of a grant award to the lowest priority ranking, if applying for a grant within the next three fiscal years.

      Two additional changes included:

      • Changing the Term “Regional” Application to “Joint” Application in our grant documents. (Joint Powers Authorities (JPA) remain a separate entity type during the application period.); and
      • Eliminating the Project Summary and Calculation sheet during application and the Payment Calculation Summary form (CalRecycle 748-TRP) during the grant term. These two documents were eliminated as part of CalRecycle’s efforts to further streamline a user-friendly process.
    2. When will the Notice to Proceed be issued?

      We anticipate approving eligible applications in December 2021, and sending out Grant Agreements in January 2022. Once we have a “fully-executed” Grant Agreement (meaning all parties have signed the agreement), we will issue the Notice-to-Proceed (NTP). The sooner that CalRecycle receives the Grant Agreement signed by your Signature Authority, the sooner a grantee will receive the NTP.

    3. Is this the same program we applied for back in February 2021 but was not awarded (TRP13)? What is the difference between the one we applied for and this one now released?

      Yes, this is still the same program. The grant provisions and requirements for TRP14 have not changed from TRP13. (See answer to question 1 above.) The only difference between the two cycles is that TRP14 runs from the date of the NTP to April 1, 2024, whereas TRP13 runs from the date of the NTP to April 1, 2023.

    4. We were previously awarded a Rubberized Pavement Grant from CalRecycle but have not yet used the full amount awarded. Will there be a penalty or reduction of the awarded amount when applying for the current grant cycle?

      It depends on the circumstances of your previous award. Per page 26 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions, applicants for the current grant cycle that were awarded any rubberized asphalt concrete grants in the previous three fiscal years, but withdrew their grant or used less than 50 percent of their grant award, will be considered only after all other eligible applicants have been awarded. This condition does not apply if you have a current grant that is not yet closed, regardless of the percentage of grant monies expended thus far.


    1. Our City has reached the maximum number of grants for hot-mix projects (six grants) and for chip seal projects (six grants). How long is the City restricted from individually applying for funds for either type of projects?

      The eligibility criteria and evaluation process for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program for fiscal years (FYs) 2020–21 and 2021–22 limits eligible applicants to a maximum of six total asphalt rubber hot-mix or rubberized chip seal grants. Once a jurisdiction reaches its maximum, it can no longer apply for that project type unless it is a participant to a joint application.

    2. Are city-owned, city-maintained, but no public access (due to gated area) roadways eligible for this grant? How about privately-owned, but city-maintained?

      Page 6 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document states that eligible projects must be owned and maintained by the applicant and accessible to the general public.

    3. Are public parking lots and public alleyways eligible locations for the Rubberized Pavement Grant?

      For the upcoming Rubberized Pavement Grant Program, are city parks’ parking lots considered eligible projects?

      Parking lots and alleys are eligible. However, CalRecycle does not recommend the use of gap-graded rubberized pavement in these applications due to the highly resilient nature of the material, which is more conducive to dynamic loading (roadways) instead of the static loading typically encountered in parking lots and alleys. Additionally, vehicles and heavy trucks making tight turns in a parking lot/alley will cause premature rutting and failure of the pavement. Also, note that parking lot and alley applications will probably result in small tonnages and higher costs. Because of the smaller tonnages used, applicants may combine these projects with eligible roadway projects in order to satisfy Program minimums.

    4. Can a member of a JPA apply individually, if the JPA itself also applies in the same fiscal year?

      Yes, pages 5-6 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document states that members of the JPA are also eligible to apply individually, as long as the individual member is seeking funds for projects within its own jurisdiction and not for projects that are part of the JPA’s application.

    5. Is there a requirement/deadline on when the applicant’s project needs to go in construction by? In other words, what is the construction period?

      Construction of awarded projects must be completed by April 1, 2024. This means that the RAC material must be placed, invoiced, and marked as paid to the paving contractor by this date to qualify for reimbursement. Any pre-construction activities necessary for construction (i.e., project planning/design, bidding, etc.) are allowed during the application period prior to award. However, construction and installation utilizing the RAC material must occur within the grant term in order to be grant-eligible. Page 6 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document, under the Eligible Projects section, states that “construction of the RAC portion of any project must commence on or after the date indicated in the Notice to Proceed and be completed by April 1, 2024.”

    6. We have an Eco-Destination in Northern California. Is this only a public entity grant or can private companies apply?

      Private entities are not eligible for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program. As specified on Page 4 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document, eligible applicants are limited to:

      • Local Governments (cities, counties, and cities and counties) as defined in Public Resources Code section 48617.
      • Other local governmental agencies (including regional park districts, special districts, and Joint Powers Authorities [where all JPA members are also otherwise eligible applicants]).
      • Qualifying Indian Tribes. A “Qualifying Indian Tribe” is defined as an Indian tribe, band, nation or other organized group or community, residing within the borders of California, which:
        1. is recognized for special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of the status of its members as Indians; or
        2. can establish that it is a government entity and which meets the criteria of the grant program.
      • State agencies (including offices, departments, bureaus, and boards). State agencies are only eligible for projects for Class 1 bikeways, greenways, and disability access at parks – see Projects for specific limitations.
    7. San Bernardino County has a district that is in need of funding to pave about 1,600 feet of road. We are considering the rubberized tire grant for this purpose. Can you please let me know if this is an applicable project and if you have recommended vendors in this area?

      To be eligible for an award under this grant, a proposed hot-mix project must utilize a minimum of 2,000 tons of material. Because of this minimum material requirement, it is unlikely that San Bernardino County’s project would qualify. A typical lane is one inch deep and 12 feet wide. If we use these figures to estimate the material needed for a road that is 1,600 linear feet, the project would require approximately 116 tons of material. Since 116 tons is significantly lower than the 2,000 tons minimum, the project wouldn’t be eligible.

      CalRecycle produces an online-based California TDP Catalog that identifies several Tire-Derived Paving Materials and Product Suppliers in California.

    8. Our City leases nearly all vehicles in its entire fleet. Each lease agreement has a duration of three to five years, which is substantially shorter than the life of the tires on the vehicles. As a result, regular maintenance of tires is not necessary. City staff does perform visual observation of tire condition after each use and documents any issues. Does the City’s maintenance and lease agreement with its vendor meet CalRecycle’s fleet requirement of the Rubberized Pavement Grant?

      Yes, your City meets CalRecycle’s fleet requirements. The City continuously checks tire conditions with routine tire inspections and documents any issues.


    1. Are rubberized slurry seal projects eligible for funding under the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program or is it only rubberized chip seal projects?

      Page 8 of the Procedures and Requirements document states that slurry seal is not eligible under this grant program.

    2. I am currently applying for the Rubberized Pavement Grant for RAC Hot-Mix and I had a few questions about reimbursement and the tonnage. I am trying to calculate my tonnage per road so we can determine the most cost effective roads to propose. However, I can’t seem to find the estimated density of the RHMA to use in my calculations. If we are using 15% tire-derived crumb rubber, is there a typical density for the mix that we should assume? In addition, I know that the RHMA material is reimbursable, but is the grinding and preparation costs reimbursable as well?

      Density varies from project to project. For purposes of this grant program, a typical density is likely to be approximately 142 to 145 pounds per cubic foot. Eligible costs are limited to the hot-mix or chip seal material delivered and placed. Note that pre-construction activities such as project planning, design, bidding, milling operations, and pavement repairs are not eligible for reimbursement.

    3. We are still undecided on which specific road we will treat with rubber chip seal next year. Is it possible to change the location of the project, as long as our commitment to use an XX amount of tires and square yardage of rubber chip does not fall short?

      No, it is not possible to make any project changes (i.e., street substitution, quantity changes) after the application is submitted online. However, once an award is approved and you receive a Notice to Proceed email, you are allowed to request project changes, subject to a CalRecycle grant manager’s approval. Keep in mind that the total of all reimbursement(s) for all completed and proposed projects shall not exceed the amount of the original grant agreement. For details, refer to page 8 of the Procedures and Requirements document under the Modifications section.


    1. How much money is allocated for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program? And what is the grant maximum?

      We currently expect a total of $3,549,703 to be available for TRP14. As always, funding is subject to availability. The maximum grant award for hot-mix and/or chip seal project(s) is $250,000. If applying as a joint applicant, the maximum grant award is $350,000. The Lead or a participating jurisdiction is limited to no more than $250,000 of the grant award.

    2. If the actual bid results we receive for our next paving project reveal a cost differential that is different from the bid estimates at the time of application, how much will we be reimbursed?

      Reimbursement is at a flat rate, as approved on the application based on Table 1 on Page 7 of the Procedures and Requirements. This is regardless of whether the cost difference indicated at the time of application is greater or less than, up to the grant award amount.

    3. Are matching funds required? What percentage is supposed to be local match?

      No. Matching funds is not required.


    1. What is the purpose of a Resolution? Please advise or provide a sample resolution? We checked the available online forms, but didn’t see a Resolution sample to follow. Can you provide one?

      A Resolution is required for any entity which is subject to a governing body. The purpose of a Resolution is to provide:

      • Authorization from your governing body to submit an application(s).
      • Designation of the job title of the individual authorized to sign all documents necessary to implement the program (Signature Authority).
      • If permitted and/or authorized by your jurisdiction, authorization for the Signature Authority to delegate his/her signature authority to another.
      • The number of years that these authorizations are effective, up to a maximum of five years.

      Refer to the Resolution and Letter Examples webpage for example Resolutions.

    2. What is the EPPP Policy requirement for JPAs? Is it required for every member of the JPA?

      The JPA is required to have an EPPP Policy. The participating jurisdiction(s) is/are encouraged, but not required, to have in place (or adopt, as appropriate) an EPPP Policy.

    3. What happened to the Project Summary and Calculation spreadsheet? Is it still a requirement?

      CalRecycle has eliminated the spreadsheet requirement. Applicants are no longer required to specify the street segments to be paved or to estimate the volume of paving material needed. Instead, applicants will indicate the requested tons of rubberized hot mix and/or square yards of rubberized chip seal in the Project Summary/Statement of Use field under the Detail tab of the CalRecycle Grants Management System (GMS).

    4. Can a public works project (e.g., pavement management/improvement, street widening) currently in the design or bidding phase be allowable for inclusion as part of a grant application under the above program?

      Yes, public works projects that are in the design or bidding phase can be included in the application. Any necessary pre-construction activities (i.e., project planning and design, bidding, milling operations, pavement repairs) are allowed during the application period prior to award. However, all construction and installation using the rubberized paving material must occur within the grant term in order to be a grant-eligible cost.

    5. Can an applicant include past and completed projects which have utilized the RAC material, as well as upcoming projects, or does it need to be only upcoming projects? In other words, can we include completed projects within the last few years as well as upcoming projects in our application to request funding for the FY 2021–22?

      No, an applicant cannot include previously completed projects. On pages 7-8 of the Procedures and Requirements document, it states the following:

      Eligible Costs
      Eligible costs include expenditures incurred and paid for eligible paving material delivered and installed during the Grant Term (from the date of the Notice to Proceed through April 1, 2024).

      Ineligible Costs
      Ineligible costs include, but are not limited to:

      • Costs incurred for projects that start construction of the RAC paving prior to the date indicated in the Notice to Proceed, or end construction after April 1, 2024.
    6. I self-registered and created a new account so that I can take the required TDA Training Course. I don’t see the automated email in my inbox to confirm my account, therefore I can’t proceed to take the course. What do I do?

      Because it is an automated email message, it may be in your junk email folder. We recommend that you inform your IT Department to add to your whitelist email or approved sender list. If you still can’t find the confirmation email, please send an email to for technical support. For more details, please refer to the document titled “Instruction to Self-Register”. You can find it on the Summary Tab under Resource Documents section of GMS and within the login website.

    7. I have discovered a number of TDA videos on YouTube prepared by CalRecycle so I presume viewing these videos will meet the TDA Training Course requirement. Please advise.

      Please read page 9 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions under the TDA Training Course Requirement section. This section provides specific instructions on how to meet the requirement. Applicants must access the Chico State website to see the required video(s), take the quiz, and upload a completion certificate by the application due date.

    8. One of the new requirements in order to be eligible is for applicants to implement best management practices regarding its vehicle and equipment fleet. Does that require us to adopt a policy and upload it to GMS? If so, do you have samples for references?

      No, CalRecycle does not need to review a policy, nor must a policy be uploaded into the online application. However, Applicants must certify on the Detail Tab of GMS ( that their organization acknowledges and implements these types, or other applicable fleet management practices that maximize fleet tire life. Pages 9-10 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document provides a list that includes examples of common vehicle and equipment best management practices that are used to maximize fleet tire life.

    9. How does the ranking inducement work? I am currently categorized as RAC-2 with three previous RAC hot-mix grants. Where would my City be in the ranking order if we met one of the two conditions?

      A City currently ranked in the RAC-2 category would be elevated to the RAC-1 category, but placed in the bottom segment. In other words, your projects will be funded after all initially qualified RAC-1 projects, but prior to RAC-2 projects. Keep in mind, however, that a ranking inducement does not guarantee funding, nor does it increase the reimbursement rate or amount. It does increase an applicant’s chance of being awarded if the cycle is oversubscribed.

    10. Does my entity get more inducement if we adopt all three policies? For example, does an entity the adopts all three areas get more inducement than an entity with two areas or does two areas earn more inducement than just one?

      No, as long as you adopt at least one of the three policies, your application will receive a ranking inducement.

    11. I am unclear what document is required in order to qualify for the optional ranking inducement. Please advise.

      There are two methods to qualify for the inducement. As stated on pages 10-13 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions, you may either:

      1. Submit a Letter from the Signature Authority, if your entity commits to objectively reviewing and evaluating the use of RAC, TDA material, or the use of Retread Tires, or
      2. Adopt a Policy (or procedure) for our review. The Letter or Policy must be uploaded by October 27, 2021.
    12. Can we upload our existing EPPP Policy or our Purchasing Policy in lieu of the documents specified, in order to qualify for the optional ranking inducement?

      No, existing EPPP and Purchasing Policies will not be accepted in lieu of the documents specified.

    13. Do we need to take the online TDA training again? We applied last cycle, however, did not get awarded due to insufficient funds available. Can we upload the training certificate from that training session?

      As stated on page 9 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions, you must recertify every time you apply for the grant. Training certificates from previous grant applications will not be accepted. You must also re-register in order to take the course again.

    14. My agency submitted a Letter with our application last year with the intent to get a ranking inducement. Our application was recommended for an award, however there were not enough funds available. Therefore, we were not awarded. Are we still eligible for a ranking inducement via a Letter for this year’s application? We understand that the Letter method is a one-time basis only.

      Since our City was not awarded in last year’s solicitation, can we use the same Letter for this year’s application?

      Page 13 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions states that an entity requesting a ranking inducement via a Letter will only be allowed once. Since you have not yet received a ranking inducement via the Letter method, you are still eligible to do so. However, an updated Letter is required. A Letter submitted with a previous TRP application will not be accepted with your TRP14 application.

    15. When we get to the Budgets tab in the online application, it is stated that the Budgeted Funds be equal to the Requested Funds. If our project will be larger, approximately 305,577 square yards, than the apparent maximum amount of allocated funds, $250,000, should we put only $250,000 in the budgeted funds?

      Yes, please enter $250,000 in the Budgeted Funds field. Although your proposed project will result in a $305,577 calculation (305,577 yd2 at $1/yd2 for Tier 2 applicants), the maximum is $250,000 for this grant.

    16. Can a City submit more than one application?

      No, in accordance with Page 26 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions, a City may request funding for multiple projects in a single application, regardless of whether the projects are hot-mix projects, chip seal, or both, but only one application per applicant will be considered for an award.

    17. If we have an approved Resolution that was done for a previous CalRecycle Rubberized Pavement Grant and it states that the authorization is effective for five (5) years can we reuse that resolution?

      Yes, a Resolution used for a previous Rubberized Pavement Grant cycle may be used for the current cycle, as long as it authorizes submittal of an application for either (1) all CalRecycle grants or (2) the Rubberized Pavement Grant, and it meets all of the Resolution requirements listed on pages 22-23 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions. If the previous Resolution authorizes submittal of an application for a specific cycle (i.e., TRP12), it is not valid for the current Rubberized Pavement Grant cycle (TRP14). If you would like CalRecycle staff to review your Resolution to ensure it meets the requirements of the grant program, you may upload the Resolution to your application as a Draft Resolution, or for immediate review email it to

    18. Will we need to adopt a new Environmentally Preferable Purchasing and Practices Policy (EPPP) if we adopted one for a prior Rubberized Pavement Grant?

      Applicants must have a have an Environmentally Preferable Purchasing and Practices Policy (EPPP) currently in place. If you already have one in place, you are not required to adopt a new one. Applicants who have an EPPP Policy in place prior to submitting their application must certify to this fact on the Detail tab in the application. For more information about the Environmentally Preferable Purchases and Practices Policy Requirement, refer to page 10 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions.

For more information, contact