The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers a program to provide opportunities for the beverage container recycling and litter cleanup activities. Pursuant to Public Resources Code Section 14581 (a)(3)(A) of the California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act, CalRecycle is distributing $10,500,000 in fiscal year 2023-24 to eligible cities and counties specifically for beverage container recycling and litter cleanup activities.
- Eligible applicants include cities, counties, or cities and counties in California, as identified by the California Department of Finance, unless otherwise determined by CalRecycle.
- New or existing curbside recycling programs.
- Neighborhood drop-off recycling programs.
- Public education promoting beverage container recycling.
- Litter prevention and cleanup where the waste stream includes beverage containers that will be recycled.
- Cooperative regional efforts among two or more cities or counties, or both.
- Supporting AB 341 Mandatory Commercial Recycling requirements. For additional information on MCR and definitions of “businesses” and “multi-family residential dwellings” as they relate to this regulation, see Mandatory Commercial Recycling
- Infrastructure for businesses to recycle beverage containers.
- Support for new or existing beverage container recycling programs for multi-family residential dwellings.
- Public education and outreach that include a beverage container recycling component.
- $10,500,000 available for fiscal year (FY) 2023–24.
- Cities are eligible to receive a minimum of $5,000 and counties are eligible to receive a minimum of $10,000 per award.
- The calculation is based upon the population in the incorporated areas of a city, or a city and county, or the unincorporated area of a county as of January 1, 2023 (Department of Finance E-1 Population Estimates for cities, Counties, and the State with Annual Percentage Change – January 1, 2022 and 2023. Sacramento. California, May 2023.)
Timeline and Cycle Details
|Dates||Activity and Details|
|October 19, 2023||
Funding Request Open Date and Access
If you are unable to access CAPRS or need assistance you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|January 17, 2024||
Funding Request Due Date
Payments Awarded and Beginning of Term
|June - July 2024||
|March 1, 2026||
Term End Date
|April 1, 2026||
Reporting Due Date
If you require assistance in obtaining access to this document, please use the contact information at the bottom of this page.
For more information, visit Beverage Container Recycling Home