The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers a Recycling Market Development Zone Loan Program to encourage California-based recycling businesses that prevent, reduce, or recycle recovered waste materials through value-added processing or manufacturing. Facilities must be located in California, preferably within a CalRecycle-designated RMDZ and use postconsumer or secondary recovered waste feedstock generated in California.
The purpose and importance of the RMDZ Program is set forth in Section 42001 of the California Public Resources Code:
“The purpose of this chapter [is] to stimulate the use of postconsumer waste materials and secondary waste materials generated in California as raw materials used as feedstock by private business, industry, and commerce.”
Additional background and legal information on the RMDZ Loan Program is available on our RMDZ Law and Policy page.
- Private, for-profit entities
- Nonprofit organizations (except private schools)
- Local government entities
- Cities, counties, and cities and counties
- Regional or local sanitation agencies, waste agencies, and joint powers authority
All projects must be located California, preferably in a CalRecycle designated RMDZ, which can be determined by entering the project physical address into the RMDZ Zone Search, Map, and Profiles. In the case of mobile operations, the primary business location for the project must be located within the RMDZ.
- Available Funds:
- FY 2021-22 $37,426,000 estimated
- Interest Rate: Generally 4.0 percent, but may be adjusted based on the loan applicants ability to repay and creditworthiness.
- For updates, send an email to Loans@Calrecycle.ca.gov
For information about the RMDZ Loan Program, including eligible/ineligible project types, download the RMDZ Eligibility Criteria.
To view the application materials go to the program’s Forms and Documents page. Before applying for a Loan please contact CalRecycle (see Questions below).
Learn more about loans that have been awarded.
- To learn more about the RMDZ program or apply for a loan, please provide your information via this form or contact your local Zone Administrator, or CalRecycle’s Zone Liaison for that area (see map).
- General information can also be obtained by calling (916) 341-6199 or emailing LAMD@CalRecycle.ca.gov.
- For questions specific to the loan program, contact email@example.com.