State Employee Benefits
Working for the State of California has many benefits…
Health and Well-Being
- Health Insurance. Choose from a variety of health benefit plans for you and your family. The state may pay up to 100 percent of the premiums depending on the plan selected. If you already have qualifying medical and/or dental coverage through another source, such as a spouse, you can receive cash in lieu of your health and/or dental coverage.
- Dental Insurance. Employees and their eligible dependents can choose the dental plan right for them. The state may pay higher percentages of the premiums depending on the plan selected.
- Vision Care Insurance. As a state employee, you are automatically enrolled into the state’s Vision Program.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP). EAP is an assessment, short-term counseling, and referral service designed to provide you and your family with assistance during difficult times, as well as consultation on managing everyday concerns. Benefits include confidential consultation and referrals, as well as support groups, wellness programs, and noontime meetings and seminars. Most EAP benefits are free to state employees and their families.
- Medical Reimbursement Accounts. Set aside money to reimburse eligible medical expenses.
- Long-Term Care. Affordable comprehensive plans are available.
Paid and Unpaid Leaves
- Holidays. 11 paid holidays per year, plus one personal holiday.
- Sick Leave. Earn sick leave each month to provide income protection in the event of illness or injury.
- Vacation. Earn vacation leave each year based upon years of employment.
- Annual Leave. Eligible employees accrue a combined pool of “annual leave” credits instead of separate vacation and sick leave.
- Bereavement Leave. As a state employee, you are allowed paid time off if a member of your immediate family dies.
- Family, Parental, and Other Leave. Up to one year of unpaid leave.
- Jury Duty. In general, if you are called for jury duty, you serve with no loss of pay as long as you remit to the state any fees received for jury duty.
- Military Leave. Up to 30 calendar days with pay for military leave each year if you meet specific requirements.
- Pregnancy Disability Leave. Female employees disabled by pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition can take up to four months of unpaid, job-protected leave.
- Mentoring Leave. Up to 40 hours of leave per year, on a matching basis, to employees who mentor at-risk youth (grades K-12).
- Union Leave. Leave to participate in union activities, varying among bargaining units.
- See all leave-related information on the CalHR site.
Savings and Retirement Plans
- Retirement Plans. A choice of plans to help you meet your goals. Your pension grows as your career grows with us.
- Savings Plus. In addition to our Retirement Plans, the state offers a 457 Deferred Compensation plan and a 401K plan for customized savings.
- ScholarShare Program. Tax-deferred college savings for your children.
Job Flexibility and Advancement Opportunities
- Transfer, Training, and Advancement Opportunities. Make the most out of your state service with a wide range of desirable career options and transfer, training, and promotional opportunities throughout California.
- Flexible Work Arrangements. In some cases, alternative work arrangements such as flextime, alternative, and telework work schedules can help employees balance career and family life.
- Merit Salary Adjustment. Annual 5 percent increase after 12 months of satisfactory performance, as certified by your supervisor, until maximum salary is reached for your classification.
Discounts and Other Financial Incentives
- Discounted Public Transit. Employees commuting to work by mass transit are eligible for a 75 percent discount on public transit passes up to a maximum of $65 per month.
- Group Legal Services Insurance Plan. Affordable and covers most legal situations.
- Credit Union. Membership in the Golden 1 Credit Union is open to all of our employees.
- University/College Financial Aid. Up to $800 reimbursement for eligible employees for the cost of tuition/registration fees and books at public or private higher education systems.
- Cell/Mobile Phone Plan Discounts. Receive up to an 18 percent discount on eligible cell/mobile phone plans at AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and other carriers.
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts. Set aside money to reimburse dependent day care expenses.