Questions and Answers: Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program HD35 (FY 2020–21)

Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program HD35 application were accepted in writing only, no later than March 11, 2020. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

The question and answer period is now closed for this grant cycle.  All questions and answers are posted on this site.


    1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?
      An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but it is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant.A regional applicant is comprised of two or more eligible jurisdictions, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the Grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and submitting all required documentation. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it cannot submit an individual application.

      Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs) may submit a grant application as an individual applicant by submitting a copy of its joint powers agreement. However, because they represent multiple public entities, JPAs are afforded the same maximum grant award as a regional applicant. An entity may not submit an individual application if that entity is also a member of an applicant JPA. Please refer to the “Eligible Applicants” section in the Application Guidelines and Instructions Revised April 2020.

    2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed letter upon award of a Cycle 34 grant?
      CalRecycle staff anticipates awarding grants in July 2020. Notice to Proceed letters will be sent in August/September 2020, after the Grant Agreement is executed.
    3. What is your definition of unserved communities? What if a jurisdiction is using another city’s facility through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (it is far away and not convenient)? Does this qualify as unserved?
      If the jurisdiction has neither Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection services nor an existing HHW facility within the community, it would be considered underserved.


    1. We need a box truck to help with our mobile collection program. Would that be considered as equipment for the proposed project budget? Also, we would like to apply our current logo/phone number to the side of the truck and our other mobile collection vehicles; would that activity be eligible under equipment for the project budget?
      Yes, purchasing a box truck to pick up household hazardous waste items within your mobile collection program is an eligible expense under “Set-up and operation of temporary or mobile collection program for one-day or multi-day collection events.” It falls under the “Equipment” budget category.Yes, applying your collection program information to the side of your truck and other mobile collection vehicles would be eligible for funding under the “Equipment” budget category.

      Please refer to the “Eligible Projects/Products” section in the Application Guidelines and Instructions Revised April 2020.

    2. Can we contract with a vendor to provide a battery recycling program for City staff?
      No, any eligible funded activity must be provided to and accessible by the public at large, not just for a jurisdiction’s staff.
    3. Can we utilize funds to pay for advertisement promoting temporary HHW events?
    4. Can we utilize funds to purchase sharps containers and battery buckets to provide to residents during HHW events?
      Funds cannot be used to purchase sharp containers. Funds can be used to purchase battery buckets.
    5. Can we contract with a vendor to provide at your door collection of HHW material?
      Yes, funds can be used to contract with a vendor to provide at your door collection of HHW material.
    6. Can we utilize funds to cover overtime for staff working HHW events?
      Yes, when necessary, funds can be used to cover overtime for staff working HHW events.
    7. We operate a Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility here in the city and already have a Reuse Program in place where residents come by and take items that are in excellent condition. We have a gym that shares a wall with the facility. We would like to expand our reuse program and make it more publicly accessible by dividing the gym room with a wall and use that new space for the Reuse Program. Would such an activity be eligible for grant funds?


No questions were submitted in this category.


No questions were submitted in this category.

For more information contact: Used Oil & Household Hazardous Waste,