Manufacturer Reporting Information
Manufacturers whose brand-named devices are sold in California in the reporting year are required to submit an annual report. The manufacturer report is due on or before July 1 of each year, covering the previous calendar year.
Updated reporting template forms, revised in March 2022, are available to assist in complying with regulations:
- CalRecycle 242: This form is to help manufacturers meet the annual reporting requirements for CEDs sold in California. A separate form 242 is required for each brand.
Report Content Requirements
Per the statute and regulations, annual manufacturer reports must include:
- General Information.
- Sales Data.
- Material Reporting.
- Recyclable Content.
- Design for Recycling.
- List of Retailers Notified.
- Consumer Information.
- Manufacturer certification with original signature.
The manufacturer is responsible for the preparation of the report covering their activities, even if a “collective report” is submitted on their behalf.
Top Problems with Recent Reporting
- Failure to submit.
- Reports submitted late.
- Failure to submit information by brand.
- Reports did not contain all the required information.
- Manufacturer submitted with a collective report, but did not submit the other required information, therefore report is incomplete.
- Manufacturer submitted report without original signature.
Note that any guidance provided by CalRecycle should not substitute for careful reading of the original statute or subsequent regulations. Interested parties are encouraged to check back often, or subscribe to an email newsletter for developments and event information.
For more information contact CEDManufacturers@CalRecycle.ca.gov
Submit completed reports and supplemental documentation to:
Attention: Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Program, MS #9
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Acceptable formats for submitting reports:
- Hard copy with original signature mailed to the above address; return receipt is suggested.
E-mail to CEDManufacturers@calrecycle.ca.gov. Ask for verification of receipt and send the hard copy of the signed certification, as required. The signature can be added to the report itself or on a separate addendum page that contains the required certification language.
The information on this page does not apply to battery-embedded products. To learn more visit the SB 1215 page.
Manufacturer Take-Back Program
CalRecycle implements portions of legislation that establish a funding system for the collection and recycling of certain electronic wastes. Prospective participants must be approved prior to participating.
This application form is to be used by manufacturers intending to participate in the Covered Electronic Waste (CEW) Recycling Program. Interested parties should review all requirements in the regulations and comply with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Note: No payments will be made for activities conducted prior to registration approval.
- Information on the Notice of Intent to Handle
Any handling of a minimum threshold of discarded cathode ray tubes or universal waste electronic devices in California is required to formally notify the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) of their intent to handle, regardless of whether they are participating in the CalRecycle payment system.
- Information on the process is available on the DTSC’s website.
Note that, depending on a handler’s activities, other DTSC requirements may apply. See DTSC’s Electronic Waste page for details.
This page is for informational purposes only; it does not list all requirements in statute and regulations.