Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

OPP Application and Annual Report System

What is the direct Web site/link to the OPPO Application?

Use the Oil Payment Program Online (OPPO) Sign-In page, and click on “OPPO Applications” in the left navigation menu.

What is the direct Web site/link to the OPPO Annual Report?

Use the Oil Payment Program Online (OPPO) Sign-In page, and click on “OPPO Annual Reports” in the left navigation menu.

If a consultants/contractors had WebPass access for multiple cities for the annual report, will they have the same access for the OPP application?

Yes, they should retain the same access.

Application Related Documents (including Resolutions)

When do jurisdictions start submitting OPP resolutions and other supporting documentation to CalRecycle?

No hard copy documents are submitted to CalRecycle with the OPPO system. The jurisdictions or lead agencies are responsible for uploading all required documents into the OPPO system during an “open” application period.  Open application periods are typically June 1 through June 30th of each fiscal year; however, check the OPP website to find the correct application period for a cycle.

Can you confirm that participation in a regional “application” needs to be updated annually?

Yes, those jurisdictions participating under a Regional Lead agency need to annually submit a letter of Authorization to the Regional Lead agency.

How should Applicant’s submit their Board Resolutions?

Please scan and upload the resolution (and any other required documents) into the OPPO system under “Documents” tab.

How do participants in a Regional Application submit their Letters of Authorization?

Letters of Authorization should be addressed to and submitted directly to the Regional Lead who is responsible for submission of the application and uploading of the Letters of Authorization.

Is there specific language or format for the resolution and other documents? Will a sample resolution be forwarded to the cities?

There are specific requirements that must be met when developing a resolution. Examples are posted on the OPP Website.

Will we need to redo our resolutions?

A new and separate (separate from the Used Oil Block Grant, HHW and/or other grant programs) resolution is required for the Used Oil Payment Program.

I will need to submit a completed application with the Board Agenda Item to get a Resolution, Is there a way to print out the application prior to submitting it as final?

Yes, you can screen print the various application pages by tab.

We have the signatory authority vested in a position (Board of Supervisor Chairman) rather than a person. The BOS Chairman changes from year to year. Is there a way to accommodate this change with the OPP reporting process?

If the resolution is prepared in a manner that only specifies the position of the signature authority, then it will not impact the accuracy of the resolution and it will not require annual updating – the OPP allows resolutions to remain in effect until rescinded.

Approvals (from CalRecycle) and “Funded by” Statement

Will you need to get Program Advisor approval for items not listed on the pre-approved expenditure list?

Please refer to the “Expenditure Requiring Approval” section of the guidelines.

For messaging language when used oil funding is a just a portion of an activity, can we use a message saying “A portion of funding is from CalRecycle.” instead of “Funded by CalRecycle.”?

The preferred statement is “Funded in part by CalRecycle”.

Forms and Certified Collection Centers (CCC) Site Visits

Will the personnel Expenditure Itemization Form (EIS) still be the same?

There is a worksheet (CalRecycle 732) that has been developed for use by jurisdictions that is similar to the EIS format. Some of the larger jurisdictions may want to compile their expenditures using this format on a quarterly basis or as is otherwise useful. This form must be uploaded in the documents tab of the annual report. This form could be found at Grants Forms webpage under “Used Oil Recycling” section.

Will CCC Checklists remain a part of the Annual Report?

Program recipients will need to continue to conduct a minimum of one site visit to a CCC per 100,000 residents/population with completed CCC Site Visit Checklists to be retained in payment recipient’s file.

Wet Signatures and Documents to be Mailed

Since the application is online, are there any application documents that require an original “wet” signature and which must be mailed?

Although the application summary page requires an original signature, it should be scanned and uploaded to the Oil Payment Program Online (OPPO) system with the signed copy retained in your OPP file. Other documents, such as Letters of Authorization and Letters of Designation, are to be scanned and uploaded to the OPPO with the signed copy retained in your OPP file. If you have difficulty uploading documents, please contact for assistance.

Due Dates, Extensions, and Term of OPP Cycles

What are the due dates for the Applications and the Annual Reports?

Applications must be submitted by the last week of June of each year.

Annual Reports are due by August 15th.

Note: If either of these dates falls on a weekend or holiday, the Application/Annual Report will be due the next work day.

Will jurisdictions have a grace period beyond established due dates to submit resolutions?

No. Timely submission of Applications, required supporting documents and Annual Reports will not be flexible.

Please provide confirmation regarding the terms to expend funds for the upcoming used oil program cycles.

All OPP cycles will be for a 2 year term.

Payment and Interest Earned

How are the OPP payment amounts calculated and how much can we expect to receive compared to our previous grant awards?

The OPP uses the same calculation described in Public Resources Code section 48653(a)(3)(A) which essentially takes the available funds and allocates them on a per capita basis, subject to a minimum of $5,000 and $10,000 for cities and counties, respectively. Assuming that there are no changes to the Used Oil Recycling Fund in the approved State Budget each year, funding is $11 million per fiscal year. Assuming there are no cuts in any given fiscal year, the OPP cycle funding should remain close to the same amount as issued in the previous OPP cycle.

If a City qualifies for the early payment, do they receive the full amount in October?

Yes the Payment Recipient should receive the full amount in October assuming the State has an approved Budget for the fiscal year in question. If the State is late approving the related Budget Act, the October payment may be delayed.

Do we still need to expend all OPP funds in a given cycle before we can qualify for an early October payment in an upcoming OPP application cycle?

Yes, a potential applicant must either (1) be a brand new applicant who had no prior funds to expend or must have just reported all OPP funds have been expended in the prior cycle.

Since the funds may be paid out before expenses are incurred, will we have to track and report any interest earned on the funds?

At this time, Payment Recipients do not have to track and report interest earned. We have worked diligently with our internal stakeholders to reach agreement on a process that provides stakeholder flexibility while ensuring appropriate fiscal oversight. The process may be reviewed at a later time with regard to this issue.


Why does the OPP have more restrictions and requirements than the Division of Recycling (DOR) city/county payment program for beverage container recycling and litter reduction?

The programs, while similar in some respects, are very different and a direct comparison is not appropriate. Staff and management believe that the level of programmatic and fiscal reporting proposed for the OPP is appropriate. The Public Resources Code section 48657 requires, among other things, the accurate accounting of all amounts paid from the Used Oil Fund.

Is 10% expended in filter recycling a requirement and does it have to be a recycling collection event or can it be an ad to encourage filter recycling?

Public Resources Code section 48653 (a)(3)(C) states in part, “it is the intent of this paragraph that at least one million dollars ($1,000,000) be made available specifically for used oil filter collection and recycling programs.” CalRecycle has intended that we meet the intent of this statute by asking jurisdictions to spend at least 10% of their funding toward improving used oil filter collection and recycling. This does include programmatic efforts toward education of the public through ads and/or collection events as well as other expenses related to oil filter collection.

Will construction costs of HHW facilities that collect used oil and filters be considered eligible costs?

Construction of a permanent HHW facility may not be funded by OPP; however, oil collection & recycling equipment for installation in a new building should be eligible.

Who should I contact if I have a question?

If you have questions, please contact your Program Advisor (formerly referred to as your Grant Manager).

For more information contact: Financial Assistance,