This page provides information regarding the California State Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Used Oil Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) pursuant to the California Senate Bill (SB) 546 (Lowenthal 2009). The bill required a comprehensive LCA of California’s used lubricating and industrial oil management process be coordinated with input from representatives of a broad stakeholder group (California Public Resources Code 2013a). All information may be accessed using the following tabs.
Use the links below to find information about the project's development and final documents.
- Models and Economic Peer Review
- Documents Resulting From Contract Implementation
- Background and Public Involvement
If you require assistance accessing documents on this page, contact CalRecycle's Office of Public Affairs at (916) 341-6300.
- Final Report to the Legislature
- Life Cycle Assessment of Used Oil Management in California--Pursuant to Senate Bill 546 (Lowenthal)
- Critical Review of Used Oil Life Cycle Assessment Study
- Cost Benefit Analysis and Distributional Impacts of Used Oil Management Policy Scenarios
- Final Report on Direct Impacts Model (DIM) Analysis of the California Used Oil Market
- Review of Economic Model of Used Oil Regulation
- Used Oil Lifecycle Assessment Facilitator’s Executive Report
- Rerefining Used Lubrication and Industrial Oils' Effects on Virgin Crude Oil Refining
- Used Oil Composition Data. Contact UsedOilHHW@calrecycle.ca.gov.
- Asphalt Flux Composition Data. Contact UsedOilHHW@calrecycle.ca.gov.
- LCA Data Process Flow Diagram
- Lubricant Consumption and Used Oil Generation in California: A Segmented Market Analysis, Part I--California's Lubricant Consumption, 2000-2020
- Lubricant Consumption and Used Oil Generation in California, Part II--Collectable Used Oil Availability in California, 2000-2011
- Crude Oil Refining in US and California (PE International Refinery Model)
CalRecycle in conjunction with the Department of Toxic Substances Control, has compiled a list of background documents and publications pertinent to the Used Oil LCA Project analyzing the recovery, reuse and disposal of used oil.
- Improving Used Oil Recycling in California. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and CalRecycle (formerly the California Integrated Waste Management Board) May 2008.
- Norris, J., R. Stewart and N. Passant, Review of the Fate of Lubricating Oils in the UK. AEA Energy & Environment, November 2006.
- Used Oil Re-Refining Study to Address Energy Policy Act of 2005, Section 1838. U.S. Department of Energy, July 2006.
- Valiante, Usman A., A Critical Review of the Used Oil Management Association (UOMA) Program Review. October 2005.
- Catalan Waste Agency Position on the Commission Consultation on the Directive 75/439/EEC on Waste Oils: Technical Considerations. Catalan Waste Agency, March 2005.
- Boughton, Bob and Arpad Horvath, " Environmental Assessment of Used Oil Management Methods." Environmental Science & Technology , 2004, Vol. 38, No. 2, 353-358.
- Gressel, Alan, " Comment on Environmental Assessment of Used Oil Management Methods." Environmental Science & Technology , 2004, Vol. 38, No. 19, 5261.
- Boughton, Bob and Arpad Horvath, " Response to Comment on Environmental Assessment of Used Oil Management Methods." Environmental Science & Technology , 2004, Vol. 38, No. 19, 5262.
- Used Oil in Bunker Fuel: A Review of Potential Human Health Implications. California Environmental Protection Agency/Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment Report, December 2004.
- Recycle of Used Oils: Legal and Technical Considerations. European Petroleum Industry Association, 2003.
- Boyde, Steve, "Green Lubricants. Environmental Benefits and Impacts of Lubrication." Green Chemistry , 2002, 4, 293-307.
- Critical Review of Existing Studies and Life Cycle Analysis on the Regeneration and Incineration of Waste Oils. Taylor Nelson Sofres Consulting, December 2001.
- Used Oil Recovery, Reuse and Disposal in New Zealand: Issues and Options. The Ministry for the Environment, New Zealand, December 2000.
- Kajdas, Czeslaww, "Major Pathways for Used Oil Disposal and Recycling." Part 1, Tribotest Journal , 7--1, December 2000. (7) 61-74; and Part 2, Tribotest Journal , 7-2 September 2000. (7) 137-153.
- J. Porst, Environmental Handbook, Environmentally Oriented Management of Used Oil. Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, December 2000.
- Quantification of metals emissions from burning used oil fuel. Entropy, Inc., July 1996.
- Vermont Used Oil Analysis and Waste Oil Furnace Emissions Study. Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, March 1996.
- Technical Guidelines on Used Oil Re-Refining or Other Re-Uses of Previously Used Oil (R9). Basel Convention, September 1995.
- D.J. Graziano and E.J. Daniels, Assessment of Opportunities to Increase the Recovery and Recycling Rates of Waste Oils. Argonne National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy Contract Report. August 1995.
- Ecological and Energetic Assessment of Re-Refining Used Oils to Base Oils: Substitution of primarily produced base oils including semi-synthetic and synthetic compounds. Institute for Energy and the environment (IFEU), February 2005.