Food Diversion Workshop and Summit
This workshop was held in Sacramento on December 8, 2004. The purpose of the workshop was to share information about successful large venue food waste diversion programs. Presentations were made by large venue operators, local government, haulers, composters, and California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB, now known as California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery or CalRecycle) staff.
Transcripts are using Microsoft Indexer (From the top left menu choose “Timeline”, from top right menu choose “View”, and then “Accessibility” to see the transcript). Audio recordings of the event may be heard here:
Food Diversion Summit
This two-day summit, held in Sacramento on October 22-23, 2002, brought together stakeholders from across the state to discuss and share information about challenges and possible solutions to increase food diversion. A list of speakers and downloadable presentations are available.
Recommendations from attendees in extensive break-out sessions focused on challenges and the means to overcome them were compiled by staff. Results and recommendations from the Summit were presented to CalRecycle in Agenda Item 14 at its February 2003 Board meeting. The adopted recommendations included:
- Development of contract concepts or legislative proposals that support food diversion programs for CalRecycle consideration.
- Development of a Web-based food diversion information clearinghouse.
- Promotion and development of ongoing technical assistance and resources.
- Pursuit of partnerships and working agreements with trade associations, food-related regulatory agencies, and other food-related organizations.
- Adoption of a food waste diversion hierarchy.