CalRecycle is committed to serving the public during the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) health emergency. CalEPA and CalRecycle are still open for business. We continue to provide our essential services to ensure the safe and proper management of California’s nonhazardous solid waste.
The health and safety of Californians is our top priority, and we will continue to serve the public by protecting human health and the environment.
This page will be updated regularly as new information about the impact COVID-19 has on the waste management and recycling industry is made available.
Below are resources that CalRecycle has gathered, but makes no endorsement of for accuracy or any specific purpose.
- Guidance for Tracking Disposed Recyclables due to COVID-19
- COVID-19 Guidance for Local Enforcement Agency and Tire Enforcement Agency Q&A Regarding Permitting and Inspections
- COVID-19 Guidance for Recycling Centers and Beverage Retailers Related to Executive Order N-54-20
- COVID-19 Recycling Related Guidance for Jurisdictions
Emergency Waivers for Solid Waste Facilities
Solid waste facilities may need to address changes in operations at facilities that are inconsistent with the permit when there is a declared emergency. California Governor Gavin Newsom in Executive Order N-25-20PDF download proclaimed a State of Emergency on March 12, 2020 as a result of the threat COVID-19. The threat of COVID-19 may have direct and indirect impacts to solid waste facility operations. Please refer to CalRecycle’s guidance regarding Emergency Waiver of Standards, as well as Additional Storage of Recycled Materials at Solid Waste Facilities for assistance in addressing issues that may arise with solid waste facilities during the State of Emergency.
If you have any questions, please contact your CalRecycle Permitting and Assistance Point of Contact.
- Governor Newsom Executive Order N-54-20: Related to Beverage Container In-Store Redemption, Recycling Centers, and Reusable Bags PDF download (4/23/20)
- Update: Governor Newsom Executive Order N-70-20 PDF download: Extends order on Beverage Container In-Store Redemption and Recycling Centers for 60 days (June 22, 2020)
- Update: The provision in Executive Order N-54-20 suspending portions of the statewide single-use carryout bag ban has expired (June 22, 2020)
- Governor Newsom Executive Order N-33-20: State of Emergency PDF download (3/19/20)
- Cal/OSHA Guidance for the grocery industry on the use of reusable bags PDF download
- California Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers PDF download
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – How COVID-19 Spreads
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration – COVID-19
- State of California Coronavirus Website
- US Environmental Protection Agency – Recycling and Sustainable Management of Food During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pubic Health Emergency
Guidance for Industry & Local Government
- Resource Recovery Coalition of California COVID-19 Virus Guidance PDF download
- Solid Waste Industry of North America (SWANA) Guidance
- California Resource Recovery Association (CRRA) – COVID-19 Webpage
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) Member Alert – Resources for Preventing the Spread of Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – What Waste Collectors and Recyclers Need to Know about COVID-19
- Department of Health Services – Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce (Public Works Section)
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Expanded Emergency Declaration – FAQs (specific to haulers of household waste) and medical waste
- US Composting Council – COVID-19 Response Resources
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance: COVID-19 Resources for Composters & Food Scrap Collectors
Medical Waste Handling
- National Waste & Recycling Association (NWRA) Healthcare Waste Institute – FAQs 21019 Novel Coronavirus PDF download
- Stericycle – Regulated Medical Waste and Sharps Packaging Guidance PDF download
- Waste Management Service Alerts for California (updated)
- ISRI Requests National Essential Designation for U.S. Recycling Operations (3/18/20)
- Waste Dive TRACKER– How coronavirus is disrupting US waste and recycling (updated daily)
Business Assistance and Other Resources
- Federal Small Business Guidance and Loan Resources:
- The California Legislative Analyst’s Office:
- U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Guide
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Advance (Economic injury loans)
- Paycheck Protection Program (Loan designed to provide direct incentive to for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll.)
- Express Bridge Loans (Enables small businesses who currently have a business relationship with SBA Express Lender to access up to $25,000 quickly.)
- Small Business Debt Relief (Small Business Administration will pay principal, interest, and fees on certain current loans.)
- California Relief for Small Businesses:
- Relief Extensions for Filings and Tax Returns (Interest free deferral of sales/use tax up to $50,000 for businesses with less than $5 million in taxable sales.)
- Governor Newsom Grants Additional Relief for Business Taxpayers: (90-day extension on all businesses filing a return for less than $1 million in taxes.)
- California Small Business Loan Guarantee Program ($50 million in state funding, providing potential capital for individuals who do not qualify for federal funds.)