In 2019, Governor Newsom signed into law The California Recycling Market Development Act (AB 1583, Eggman, Chapter 690, Statutes of 2019). Section 42005.5 requires CalRecycle to convene by July 1, 2020, a Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling consisting of representative of public agencies, private solid waste enterprises, and environmental organizations that have expertise in recycling.
View the full text of the Act.
You can email AB1583Commission@CalRecycle.ca.gov if you have questions or if you are interested in contributing to the goals of the Statewide Commission.
We look forward to hearing from you.
|John Bouchard||Teamsters 350, Principle Officer|
|Deborah Cadena||Kern County Recycling|
|John Davis||Mojave Desert and Mountain Recycling Authority|
|Jan Dell||The Last Beach Cleanup, Founder|
|Jeff Donlevy||Ming’s Recycling, General Manager|
|Laura Ferrante||Waste Alternatives, Owner|
|Joseph Kalpakoff||Mid Valley Disposal, CEO|
|Gil Koda||Santa Ysabel Indian Mission, Facilities Manager|
|Nick Lapis||Californians Against Waste, Director of Advocacy|
|Manuel Medrano||City of Chula Vista, Environmental Services Manager|
|Alex Oseguera||Waste Management, Director of Government Affairs|
|Eric Potashner||Recology, Senior Director of Strategic Affairs|
|Heidi Sanborn||National Stewardship Action Council|
|Ann Schneider||Millbrae Vice Mayor|
|Coby Skye||LA County Public Works, Assistant Deputy Director|
|Sara Toyoda||City of Indio, Environmental Programs Coordinator|
|Richard Valle||Tri-CED Community Recycling, CEO|
|Tedd Ward||Del Norte Solid Waste Management Director|
Commissioner applications were due on January 15, 2020, by 11:59 pm. The application period is now closed.
The requirements and conditions for serving on this commission are as follows:
- Can commit to attend all meetings and contribute to work products outside of meeting times. We anticipate having 6-8 meetings prior to the January 1, 2021, due date for recommendations.
- Meetings are subject to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act.
- Travel expenses will NOT be reimbursed.
The application questions were as follows:
- Location (city/county)
- Email address
- Phone number
- Please briefly describe why you wish to serve on the Commission and why you think it's important? (2000 characters)
- Please describe the relevant experience you possess that you believe make you a strong candidate for the Commission. You may include in this description, but are not limited to, any occupational, academic, volunteer, or other experiences you have. (2000 characters)
- What is the top policy area you would like to address through participating on this commission and why? (1000 characters)
- Realistically, how much time per month do you think you could devote to this commission? (500 characters)
- Are you interested in serving as the Commission chairperson? If so, what is your relevant experience participating in or leading commissions or councils and what is your familiarity with Robert’s Rules of Order? (1000 characters)
Contact for Questions and Comments: AB1583Commission@calrecycle.ca.gov