CalRecycle administers the Edible Food Recovery Grant Program and the Food Waste Prevention and Rescue Grant Program (Public Resource Code section 42999). These competitive grant programs lower greenhouse gas emissions by establishing new or expanding existing food waste prevention projects (either by edible food recovery for people or source reduction efforts) in California to reduce the amount of food disposed of in landfills.
The Food Waste Prevention and Rescue Grant Program is part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts billions of cap-and-trade dollars to work:
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions,
- strengthening the economy,
- and improving public health and the environment–particularly in disadvantaged communities.
The Cap-and-Trade program also incentivizes industries to invest in clean technologies and develop innovative ways to reduce pollution.
California Climate Investments projects include:
- affordable housing,
- renewable energy,
- public transportation,
- zero-emission vehicles,
- environmental restoration,
- more sustainable agriculture,
- and much more.
At least 35 percent of these investments are made in disadvantaged and low-income communities. For more information, visit California Climate Investments.
The Edible Food Recovery Grant Program is funded by a General Fund allocation from the Circular Economy Package approved in the 2021 and 2022 Budget Act. This package supports a circular economy that recognizes waste as a resource shifting the state’s focus to a more resilient and renewable economy in California.
These funds will support the implementation of goals to reduce short-lived climate pollutants, including advancing organic waste infrastructure, edible food recovery, and composting opportunities, and support other non-organic recycling opportunities.
Join the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Program Listserv to be notified by email for program updates and when funding becomes available.
Note: “EFR” followed by a number is the cycle code for the Edible Food Recovery Grant Program.
- FY 2022-23 (Cycle 2): Application Information | EFR2 Awards
- FY 2021-22 (Cycle 1): Application Information | EFR1 Awards
Note: “FW” followed by a number is the cycle code for the Food Waste Prevention and Rescue Grant Program.
- FY 2019-20 (Cycle 4): Application Information | FW4 Awards
- FY 2018-19 (Cycle 3): Application Information | FW3 Awards
- FY 2017-18 (Cycle 2): FW2 Awards
- FY 2016-17 (Cycle 1): FW1 Awards
For program-specific questions, contact GHGReductions@CalRecycle.ca.gov.