Beverage Distributors & Manufacturers

Do I need to be registered as a beverage manufacturer and/or beverage distributor?
Distributors and manufacturers of beverages covered by the California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act (Act) are required to register with CalRecycle in order to meet the reporting and payment requirements set forth (CCR 2231, 2301). Please visit the Registration Page in order to get started.

Who is a distributor?
The California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act (Act) defines a distributor as any person who engages in the sale of beverages in beverage containers to a dealer (retailer) or consumer in California, including any manufacturer who engages in these sales. Distributor also includes any person who imports beverages from outside of California for sale to dealers or consumers in California. (PRC14511) or the entity named on the Direct Shipper Permit issued by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control pursuant to Sections 23661.3 of the Business and Professions Code (PRC 14560(a)(4)(A)).

What is the administrative fee?
The administrative fee is a 1.5 percent rebate retained by the distributor. When submitting reports using DORIIS, CalRecycle’s online reporting system, this amount is automatically deducted from the total amount due.

What is the CRV amount the beverage distributor pays to CalRecycle?
For containers made of aluminum, glass, plastic or bimetal, the redemption payment made by beverage distributors is 5¢ for each beverage container less than 24 ounces and 10¢ for each container 24 ounces or greater.

Effective January 1, 2024, wine or distilled spirits packaged in a box, bladder or pouch containers, regardless of size, will have a redemption payment of 25¢ per container.

See the current rates.

Who is a beverage manufacturer?
The Act defines a beverage manufacturer as any person who bottles, cans, or otherwise fills beverage containers, or imports filled beverage containers into California, for sale to distributors or dealers. (PRC14506). Beverage manufacturer also includes  the person or entity named on the Certificate of Compliance or Direct Shipper Permit issued by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control pursuant to Sections 23661.3 and 23671 of the Business and Professions Code (PRC 14575 2(A)).

How much are the processing fees for beverage manufacturers?
Processing fees (PF) vary depending upon the beverage container material type and the year in which you are reporting. For the most current rates, refer to the Historical Reporting Rates.

My company is a beverage manufacturer. Why do I have to pay processing fees on some containers but not aluminum?
When the scrap value received by recyclers for a material type is lower than the actual cost to recycle, the recycler receives a processing payment. CalRecycle pays certified recycling programs the processing payment, which is the difference between the material’s costs of recycling and the scrap value. In the case of aluminum, the scrap value received by recyclers is greater than the actual cost to recycle.

Questions about the determination of processing fees should be directed to the Division’s Operations Branch, Statistical Information Section, (916) 323-5778.

I don’t manufacture beverages. Why is my company a beverage manufacturer?
In the Act, the term beverage manufacturer includes each company that is introducing filled beverage containers to California’s market. This includes companies that fill beverage containers in California and companies that import filled containers from other states and countries into California.

The Act also includes stipulations which specifically identify the beverage manufacturer as the out of state company named on the Certificate of Compliance or Direct Shippers Permit issued by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control pursuant to Section 23661.3 and 23671 of the Business and Professions Code.       

When are my monthly reports and payments due?

Distributor Reports and associated CRV redemption payments must be received by the last day of the month following the month of sales (e.g., July 2024 must be received by August 31, 2024).

Beverage Manufacturer Reports and associated processing fees must be submitted by the 10th day of the second month following the month of sales (e.g., January 2024 reports and payments are due by March 10, 2024).

A Reporting and Payment Calendar can be requested by calling the Participant Management Unit at (916) 323-1837 or can be obtained online.

Do I have to report every month?
Yes; however, subject to approval by the Division, distributors may be eligible to pay on an annual basis if they have displayed a pattern of compliance and their projected redemption payments for a calendar year total less than $75,000. Beverage manufacturers may pay on an annual basis if they have displayed a pattern of compliance and their projected processing fee payments for a calendar year total less than $15,000.

Participants approved by CalRecycle as annual payers have the option to either make a single payment (per BM ID# or DS ID#) for the full calendar year’s sales by February 1st of the following year or, continue to pay monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually as long as all of the payments for the full calendar year are submitted to the Division no later than the February 1st due date.

How do I sign up for DORIIS online reporting?
You must complete and return, the Portal Access Request (PAR) form (CalRecycle 752). The PAR form is available online or by calling or emailing the Participant Management Unit at (916) 323-1837 or

Where do I mail my payment?
Send California Redemption Value (CRV) and/or Processing Fee payments to:

Attn: Accounting MS 19A
P.O. Box 2711
Sacramento, CA 95814

If you need to send mail to a street address (special delivery purposes), please send it to:

Attn: Accounting Office MS 19A
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

Can I submit payments online through DORIIS?
Yes, CalRecycle accepts online credit card payments for California Redemption Value (CRV) and Processing Fees (PF). Credit Cards accepted include American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.  The credit card payment option is located in the center of your DORIIS Home page, below your Account Balance. Select “Pay Online” to make a credit card payment.

Please note that a service fee will be charged by the credit card processing vendor for all credit card payment transactions. The current fee rate is set at 2.3 percent of the transaction amount, or $1.00 minimum. This service fee is retained by the vendor and is not revenue to CalRecycle.

How can I be sure my labels comply with the Act?
Review the Labeling Information section of the Beverage Container Labeling Requirements page. If you are still unsure, instructions on submitting product/label for review are provided on the same page.

Does the CRV message have to be in all caps on the beverage container label?
No; however, the minimum lettering height requirements apply to all letters in the message. If upper and lower case letters are used, both have to meet the minimum height requirement.

What is a secondary label?
Any label, other than the main body label, such as a neck or back label.

How can I contact the program?
To get more information about requirements for beverage distributors and beverage manufacturers, see our contacts page.

What other California agencies should I contact?
Manufacturers of beer and other malt beverages are required to submit their product label to the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) prior to its sale in California to determine if the product complies with specific content labeling requirements. Contact:

Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)
Business Practices Unit
3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 419-2500

Senate Bill 235 (Chapter 769, Statutes of 1991) was passed in October 1991. It requires every rigid plastic packaging container, as defined, sold or offered for sale in the state to meet specified criteria commencing Jan. 1, 1995. Contact:

Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Program
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 341-6717

Proposition 65 passed as a ballot measure in November 1986. It requires warnings for exposure to chemicals known to the State, which cause cancer or reproductive toxicity. For alcoholic beverages, including beer and malt products, warnings must be provided at the point of sale. Contact:

Office of Environmental Health and Hazard Assessment (OEHHA)
Proposition 65
1001 I Street,
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-6900

The Food and Drug Branch of the Department of Health Services licenses all water bottling plants and bottled water products distributed in California. If you produce bottled water, you must contact the Food and Drug Branch to obtain a license to distribute it in California. For information on license fees depending on production quantities, please contact:

Department of Public Health Services (CDPH)
Food and Drug Branch
1500 Capitol Avenue MS7602
Sacramento, CA 94234-7320
(916) 650-6500

The requirements listed above do not cover every aspect of the law. It is the responsibility of the beverage manufacturer and distributor to read and understand the statute and all applicable regulations. Failure to comply with the statute (Act) and/or regulations may result in fines and possible civil penalties. If you need clarification, please call the Industry Services Section at (916) 323-1837 or (916) 323-1835.