You want to be safe on the road. And, these days, it’s nice to save a few extra dollars, right? You can do both. It’s easy and takes only five minutes once a month. Just check your tire pressure and tread depth monthly to help avoid a car crash or breakdown due to an under-inflated or bald tire and save up to $200 in gas each year. We know you’re busy. There’s a lot on your “to do” list. But keeping your tires in good shape is a simple task that makes a big impact, including:
- Protecting yourself and your family.
- Saving money at the gas pump.
- And extending the life of your tires, which protects our environment.
So, Just Check It California! Your tire pressure that is.
Think You Know Tires? Take Our Quiz!
Check out the “Just Check It” quiz on tire pressure, safety and fuel efficiency. We challenge you to test your tire know-how! Take the quiz now!
Drive Safely This Summer
Before hitting the road this summer, CalRecycle and the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) offer some tire safety tips to help drivers make sure they’re safe.
- Make sure to check your tire pressure once a month and before every long trip when tires are cool to the touch.
- Overloading your vehicle creates excessive heat inside your tires, which can cause tire failure and crashes on the road. Before you fill the trunk and the roof rack, check the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for loading your vehicle. Don’t forget, passengers count towards the total recommended vehicle weight!
- Check the tread grooves of your tires to make sure that they’re free of foreign objects. This makes it easier for your tires to grip the road and increases your ability to safely maneuver your car. Also check to make sure there are no gouges, cuts, bulges or other irregularities.