Questions about the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program grant application were accepted in writing only, no later than October 23, 2014. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

The question and answer period is now closed for this grant cycle. All questions and answers are posted on this site.


  1. Our rubberized paving project is currently out to bid and is scheduled for construction in mid-November. Is there any way to get early approval or to cover work that is done prior to grant approval? We already have an approved Environmentally Preferable Purchasing and Practices (EPPP) policy, a current Resolution and this is our second time with this program.

    Will we be eligible for reimbursements if the project construction starts before the Notice to Proceed (NTP), but the rubberized work portion starts AFTER the NTP date?

    Can we receive grants for projects that have already started? For example, a few projects are already in the construction phase. I understand that projects must be completed by April 2017, to be eligible, but am a bit unclear on the earliest start date of a project.

    Unfortunately, we cannot deviate from the grant program’s set timeline. Construction contracts can be awarded prior to the grant NTP. However, eligible costs (the purchase and installation of the rubberized paving material) can only be incurred during the grant term. Consistent with the Application Guidelines and Instructions document, the grant term extends from the date indicated in the NTP to April 1, 2017. Costs incurred outside of the grant term are not eligible for reimbursement. Grants awards are tentatively scheduled for January or February 2015. The execution of a grant agreement and NTP issuance will follow thereafter. The applicant is allowed to do any pre-construction activities (project planning, bidding, etc. that is necessary for construction); however, the overlay of the rubberized paving material must be within the grant term in order to be grant-eligible.

  2. How will the grant budget be processed? Do we submit invoices?

    All eligible expenses will be paid on a reimbursement basis. CalRecycle will reimburse grantees for the actual work that was completed. Supporting documents are required along with the Grant Payment Request. These documents include invoices (marked as paid), receipts, weight tickets, and/or approved progress payment authorizations. More detailed information regarding payment requests is available in the Procedures and Requirements.

  3. Is there an audit or inspection after the project is completed?

    Consistent with the Procedures and Requirements, the grantee will need to maintain records and supporting documentation pertaining to the performance of this grant subject to possible audit for a minimum of three (3) years after final payment date or grant term end date, whichever is later. This could be a field and/or desk audit.

    Although not a grant-requirement, an inspector can be provided, at the request of the grantee. The inspector can shadow your own inspection staff or contractor for your project. Be advised that any inspector that monitors your project on behalf of CalRecycle will only make recommendations to your staff/contractor and will not be the responsible party for inspection services for the jurisdiction or your construction contractor.

  4. I would like to view all other Questions and Answers (Q&A) that have been submitted. Can I be provided the website link to get to that?

    As specified in the Application Guidelines and Instructions, the Q&A website can be accessed from the Notice of Funds Available or from the application. Similar or related questions may be grouped together or re-worded for clarity and responded to as one question. All Q&As will be posted approximately two weeks after the deadline and are subject to updates. It is the applicant’s responsibility to check this website for the latest information.

  5. Is there any penalty or “black mark” against the agency other than loss of grant funding should the second phase/segment not be completed by the April 1, 2017, grant deadline?

    The Application Guidelines and Instructions state that applicants that were awarded any rubberized asphalt concrete grants in the previous three fiscal years, but either withdrew their grant or used less than 50% of their grant award, will be considered only after all other eligible applicants have been awarded.

  6. Can you make changes to the project location after application deadline?
    Can you subtract or add quantity after application deadline?
    My question is whether an agency can change a roadway to be paved after approval of the funding?

    You cannot make any project changes (i.e., street substitution, quantity changes) after the application deadline of November 13 2014. However, once an award is approved and you receive the Notice to Proceed (NTP) e-mail, you are allowed to request project changes, subject to Grant Manager approval. The Procedures and Requirements document states that proposed changes or modifications to the approved project(s) must be requested in writing to the Grant Manager. The request must include the reason for change and a revised Project Summary and Calculation. Keep in mind that the total of all reimbursement(s) for all completed and proposed projects shall not exceed the amount of the original grant agreement. For more details, refer to the Procedures and Requirements on page 5, under the Work Plan and Changes/Modifications section.

  7. Are there any problems in submitting a project that already has federal funds committed to the project?

    This grant pays for a portion of the paving costs and CalRecycle does not involve itself in how grantees pay for the rest of the paving costs or any of the non-paving costs of the project. It is the grantee’s responsibility to assure that the requirements of any other funding sources are compatible with the requirements of this grant. Prior to submitting an application, potential applicants should examine the requirements of this grant (including using rubber from only California-generated waste tires processed in California) for compatibility with other funding sources. Expenses incurred that do not meet the requirements of this grant will not be reimbursed, even if done to comply with the requirements of other funding sources.


  1. In order to determine the grant category or reimbursement rate, how do I determine how many grants our jurisdiction has had in the past?

    To determine your jurisdiction’s number of previous grants, please visit our web site under the CalRecycle Grants Database Reports at and select your county and “Tire Recycling Grants” in the Grant Category menu. Please note that the list includes withdrawn grants. Refer to a grant specific contact at, if you have questions as to whether a previous grant was withdrawn and/or if you are unsure of your jurisdiction’s number of previous grants.

  2. City of ABC Department of Parks and Recreation is applying for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program. We would like to know if our department would be considered first-time applicants as we have not applied for this grant program before.

    Your department is under the authority of the City of ABC. The City of ABC is the applicant and would fall under the reimbursement category consistent with the number of grants the City had previously received.

  3. Are city-owned, city-maintained, but no public access (due to gated area) roadways eligible for this grant? How about privately-owned, but city-maintained?

    Only roadways that are owned and maintained by the applicant or an otherwise eligible entity, regardless of public access, are eligible for the grant.

  4. Can school districts apply for the Rubberized Pavement Grant?

    School districts are not eligible under this grant. However, they are eligible under the Tire-Derived Product (TDP) Grant Program.

  5. We are planning to use the Rubberized Pavement Grant to provide American Disability Act (ADA) access paths to a nature area and pond located in one of our parks. We would be covering approximately 10,000 square feet with the rubberized pavement. Is our project feasible within the guidelines of the grant and would the cost of installation of the pathways be covered as well?

    The minimum material requirement for the grant is 3,500 tons. Based on 10,000 square feet of rubberized pavement, assuming material depth of one inch, that is approximately 60 tons of material. Therefore, this project would not meet the eligibility requirement of a minimum of 3,500 tons. When applicable, local government and Qualifying Indian tribe applicants may combine projects for Class 1 bikeways, greenways, and disability access at parks with eligible roadway projects in order to satisfy Program minimums.

    Typically, installation cost is included in the overall material cost. The grant reimbursement can be applied to “installation cost” if it is included in the material cost. However, if the “installation cost” is separate from the material cost, then the grant reimbursement cannot be applied to the installation cost.

  6. Are testing costs (at the Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) plant or on-site) an eligible cost?

    No, testing costs are not an eligible expense.


  1. My jurisdiction is applying for the grant and I am new to the grant process. My supervisor would like clarification regarding our two questions below:
    1. Can the grant be applied towards a cape seal and a chip seal projects?
    2. Can the grant be applied towards a chip seal and Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) hot-mix application?

    Only the rubberized chip seal portion (not the slurry seal portion) of a cape seal project is eligible for reimbursement under this grant program. Slurry seal materials/applications (whether or not they contain rubber) are not eligible for funding. RAC hot-mix with chip seal application is eligible, as long as the rubber binder meets the minimum quantities for the grant program.

  2. Our project will replace 5,357 square feet of asphalt walkway on our campus. Is this considered hot-mix project?

    No, a rubberized asphalt walkway is not a hot-mix project. Additionally, colleges and universities are not eligible entities under this program. You may want to review application material for the Tire-Derived Product (TDP) Grant Program. Your proposed project may be considered a “greenway,” which is eligible under the TDP Grant Program. Additionally, public colleges and universities are eligible applicants under the TDP Grant Program.

  3. Where is the tire-derived crumb rubber available? Is it only specialized Asphalt Companies, or does everyone have it?

    There are several companies statewide that produce crumb rubber. Paving contractors are familiar with these crumb-rubber providers. Please note, that only California-generated waste tires, processed in California, can be used in the crumb rubber portion of the project(s).

  4. We are located in Contra Costa County. Is there an Asphalt Company that provides the tire-derived crumb rubber mix for paving projects near us?

    There are several companies that have mobile blending units to produce rubberized asphalt binder. The asphalt companies (hot-mix producers) in your area should have that information for you.

  5. Can the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program be used for parking lots?

    Yes, however CalRecycle does not recommend the use of gap-graded rubberized pavement in parking lot applications due to the highly resilient nature of the material, which is more conducive to dynamic loading (roadways) instead of the static loading typically encountered in parking lots. Additionally, vehicle tight turns in a parking lot will cause premature rutting and failure of the pavement.


  1. Will the grant include the full cost of the project or is it limited to material only?

    I have read that eligible costs are costs directly related to the project’s rubberized paving material and its installation. The spreadsheet only accounts for materials in tons, does that mean that we cannot include bid items with regards to installation (i.e., cold planning, keycuts, transitions, etc.)?

    Can we get grant reimbursement for the following costs in addition to materials?

    • Pavement striping and markings restoration
    • Keycuts
    • Raising utility covers to grade
    • Traffic control during construction
    • Mobilization payment to contractor
    • Shoulder backing

    Grant eligible cost is limited to the RAC hot-mix and/or chip seal material only. Consistent with the Application Guidelines and Instructions, the cost of the rubberized material and the direct cost to install the material are eligible costs. Ineligible costs includes a grantee’s personnel cost (including fringe benefits), overhead, and indirect costs.

    Items that are not material related (i.e., cold planning, keycuts, transitions, traffic control, etc.) are not eligible for reimbursement. The grant reimbursement is based only on the amount of Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) material used.

  2. If we want to do both hot-mix and chip seal, would it be a $250,000 grant max award for both combined or can it be $500,000 ($250K for hot-mix and $250K for chip seal)?

    $250,000 is the maximum total grant award, even for applicants combining hot-mix and chip seal projects.

  3. What is the earliest possible date for funds to be available for use assuming we are successful in getting the grant?

    Award approval is anticipated to be in January 2015, and grant agreements are scheduled to be generated and mailed out for signature in March. Once we have a fully-executed grant agreement (meaning all parties have signed the agreement), a Notice to Proceed (NTP) e-mail will be sent out. The date indicated in the NTP is the date grant-eligible cost can be incurred. Therefore the sooner your agency signs and return back the grant agreement, the sooner you will receive a NTP in or after March (our target month to send out Grant Agreement packages).

  4. Are matching funds required?

    Matching funds are not required.


  1. I read something about multiple applications in the application materials. Is this regarding previous applications and awards? Can an agency such as my county apply for multiple Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) 2014 grants or just one grant? Can we get more than one $250,000 grant? It may not matter since it takes a very large project to take advantage of the entire grant.

    You can have multiple projects in a single application, whether they are hot-mix projects, chip seal projects, or both. Only one application per applicant will be considered.

    The maximum funds requested is $250,000 in an application. However, you should consider that if a grantee uses less than 50% of its grant award, it may affect its ability to obtain future program grants.

  2. Should the Rubberized Certification form (CalRecycle 739-TRP) be filled out, signed and uploaded with the initial application (due November 13, 2014) or with the first payment request form?

    You must upload a completed and signed certification form when you submit a payment request, whether it is the first request or final. Do not complete and upload the form when applying.

  3. If we have a two-phased/segment Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) project with different construction schedules where we would like to obtain RAC grant funding for both phases, shall we submit one application for both phases/segments?

    Yes, please submit one application for all your RAC paving projects, regardless to different construction timelines, as long as the placement of the material is within the grant term.

  4. We have numerous locations which will receive Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) hot-mix or rubberized chip seal material. May we upload a summary document or just indicate “various locations” on the Project Summary and Calculation worksheet?

    All streets must be listed and entered in the worksheet so that they are “reportable and searchable” in our database.

  5. Is the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Practices (EPPP) Policy Notification necessary for the application? On the Summary Tab, under the box “Application Documents” it says, “The required documents must be completed, saved, and then uploaded in the Documents tab.” But when I downloaded and reviewed the document “EPPP Policy Notification” The document directions state, “This document is for use ONLY by applicants that did not have an EPPP Policy in place when the application was submitted. If your organization adopted an EPPP policy after the application was submitted, enter the date and governing body that adopted the policy. Upload this document to your application by December 16, 2014, or the application will be disqualified.”

    So if the applicant has an EPPP Policy in place, then do I need to provide the EPPP Policy Notification?

    No, the EPPP Policy Notification is only required for organizations that adopt a new policy during the application process. You must certify in the application that your entire organization has an existing EPPP Policy.

  6. On the Letter of Designation, who do we need to put as the recipient and address for CalRecycle for this Grant?

    Neither a recipient nor address is required for the Letter of Designation. Please refer to the Resolution and Letter Examples webpage for a sample of the Letter of Designation.

  7. If a resolution was adopted Nov. 8, 2011, and made effective for five (5) years or until Nov. 8, 2016, would a new resolution be required for this grant application? We would just upload the resolution adopted in November 2011 with the 2014 application, correct?

    A new Resolution would not be required as long as the Resolution authorizes submittal of an application for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program or for all CalRecycle grants for which the applicant is eligible.

  8. Is a public agency required to submit General Checklist of Business Permits, Licenses and Filings (CalRecycle Form 669) with the application for Rubberized Pavement Grant Program Funds Fiscal Year 2014/15?

    No, this is not a required application document for this grant program.

  9. I will likely be taking advantage of the secondary due date for submission of our Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Practices (EPPP) Policy notification and resolution, but want to get everything in to meet the November 13, 2014 application deadline. Based on the Grants Management System (GMS) it looks like I cannot even submit the application until I have ALL documents and tabs completed. So how does this work, do we basically have until December 16, 2014 now to submit? Will the system allow us to submit twice?

    No. You must submit your application by the due date of November 13, 2014. Only the Resolution and the EPPP Notification can be uploaded after the application due date and are due by the secondary due date of December 16, 2014

  10. We are planning on having the resolution by the secondary due date but not by the November 13, 2014 deadline. However the Application Certification needs to be in by the November 13, 2014 deadline and requires the Signature Authority signature, which won’t be authorized until the resolution is in place.

    So, do we submit the Application Certification with that signature assuming that the Resolution will be approved and in place by the Secondary Due Date?

    Yes, however, if the Board approves a different Signature Authority, you will be required to resubmit the Application Certification.

  11. Does the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Practices (EPPP) Policy need to go to city council with a formal policy or can it be more informal and be talked about at a city meeting?

    Please follow whatever guidelines your city has in place in order to adopt the policy.

  12. The instructions state that a copy of our agency’s Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Practices (EPPP) Policy not be uploaded, but there is a pull down “EPPP Notification” tab option on the Document Type field. Moreover, the required EPPP Policy Notification document is ONLY required from applicants who did not have a policy in effect prior to the application deadline. Our policy has been in place since 2011. Since we have an EPPP Policy already in place, should we upload the notice of adoption as a document, note the date the policy was adopted in our narrative under the “Detail” tab Notification, or note the adoption date somewhere else?

    Only applicants that have not previously adopted an EPPP Policy need to upload the EPPP Notification. Applicants that have an established EPPP Policy only need to check the box in the application that states your organization has an existing policy.

  13. Would you prefer we include our comprehensive application broken into the seven elements (1. Need and Justification; 2. Goals and Objectives; 3. Work Plan; 4. Evaluation; 5. Budget; 6. Application Completeness; 7. Evidence of a Recycled-Content Purchasing Policy or Directive) in the “Project Summary/Statement of Use” field under the “Detail” tab or as a separate, uploaded document?

    While some grant applications require a comprehensive, formal proposal and a significant amount of detail, this program is designed to be user-friendly and can usually be completed by staff in a relatively short amount of time. The Project Summary is intended to be succinct, summary information that describes the proposed project(s) in concise terms. Because the Project Summary is “public information” included in our publically searchable database, it should provide sufficient information to ensure transparency yet not include any confidential material pricing information.

    All of the required documents are listed in the Guidelines, please follow the instructions provided and not submit documents in any other format. There is no need to submit a formal proposal for this grant application.