Questions about the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program grant application were accepted in writing only, no later than August 24, 2017 September 14, 2017. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

The question and answer period is now closed. All questions and answers are posted on this site.


  1. How is this grant solicitation different from last year?

    There are no changes from the previous grant cycle.

  2. Would your grant cover the process of collecting tires as well? We don’t process any recycling here, we’re a collection site. Last year we recycled 10 million pounds of recyclables. We could actively promote this type of activity. Perhaps there is a processor locally that we could partner with?

    The grant does not cover collection or processing of tires. The grant provides financial assistance for eligible entities to use rubberized pavement.


  1. Our City has reached the maximum of six (6) grants. How long is the City restricted from individually applying for hot-mix grant funds?

    Once a jurisdiction reaches their maximum, they can no longer apply for that project type. However, the city may apply for a grant for rubberized chip seal projects or submit a regional application with other jurisdictions.

  2. Is there a maximum number of applications an agency can submit? Can we submit an application for one project as individual applicant and another as lead agency for a regional application?

    Only one application may be submitted per eligible entity, regardless of whether the eligible entity submits an individual or regional application. Page 4 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions describes the Regional Application Requirements and states that if a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it may not apply individually.

  3. We are a special transit district implementing a Bus Rapid Transit project with the City and Caltrans Right of Way (ROW). Both are partners to the project, but we are the implementing agency. We will be resurfacing/reconstructing several miles of pavement as part of our project, but the City/Caltrans will continue to own and maintain their respective parts of the ROW. The grant page says:

    “Projects must be owned and maintained by the applicant and accessible to the public.” We can also limit the grant application to pavement in the City or Caltrans ROW only if that makes things easier. Can we apply for the funds if we get letters of support from the City and/or Caltrans supporting the project, or something similar? How would the application be affected if Caltrans applies or is a joint applicant?

    Page 3 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions describes Eligible Applicants; special districts are eligible. However, only roadways owned and maintained by the applicant are eligible for this grant.

    There are project limitations for state agencies (see the Application Guidelines and Instructions - Eligible Projects for details). If Caltrans were the applicant or joint applicant, all or a portion of the project would be limited to: Class 1 bikeways, greenways, and disability access at parks.

    In this particular situation, the City should apply. The City may have a contract or memorandum of understanding with the District regarding the construction of the roadway.

  4. On behalf of the California State University (CSU), Office of the Chancellor, we just wanted to confirm that the CSU (all 23 campuses) would be an eligible applicant for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program. According to, we are considered a state agency. However, we have found that some grantors don’t identify us as such. Would you be so kind to confirm this?

    Page 3 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions describes eligible applicants; State agencies (including offices, departments, bureaus, and boards) are eligible. However, state agencies are only eligible for projects for Class 1 bikeways, greenways, and disability access at parks – see the Eligible Projects section of the Application Guidelines and Instructions for specific limitations.

  5. Can a school district apply for any of the following:
    • New bus loop
    • Expanded parking lot and drop off zone
    • Replacement asphalt in PE areas
    • Repair or replacement of fire lanes?

    Unfortunately, school districts are not eligible under this grant. However, they are eligible under the Tire-Derived Product (TDP) Grant Program for non-pavement projects. Please visit the TDP website for more information regarding eligible project types.

  6. We are a small city located on an island off the coast of Southern California. All goods and materials, including equipment such as trucks and tractors, must be barged to our city, adding a surcharge to any project/product. The entire City has only about 17.5 miles of roadway, and based on our rough calculations if we repaved everything it would only use about 2,360 tons of Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) hot-mix, while the minimum requirement of the grant is 3,500 tons. Because of our isolated nature and the high cost to barge over products for a hot-asphalt project, whether Rubberized Pavement or new hot asphalt, we were looking to purchase a portable asphalt recycler, and this grant seemed like almost the perfect opportunity to promote recycled materials and reduce costs, however we cannot make the minimum required tonnage. Are there any considerations which would allow for a smaller tonnage, such as Disadvantaged Community? Alternatively, are there other grant opportunities such as the promotion of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement?

    Because it is a competitive grant, we are not able to make changes or exceptions to the requirements and cannot provide grant-related advice while applications are accepted. However, we periodically review program requirements. The next such review will occur early next year at which time we will consider whether to adjust some of the requirements. When applications are no longer accepted, we can have our engineering staff or consultant contact you to discuss options for your particular situation.

  7. Are there any problems in submitting a project that already has federal funds committed to the project?

    This grant pays for a portion of the paving costs and CalRecycle does not involve itself in how grantees pay for the rest of the paving costs or any of the non-paving costs of the project. It is the grantee’s responsibility to assure that the requirements of any other funding sources are compatible with the requirements of this grant. Prior to submitting an application, potential applicants should examine the requirements of this grant (including using rubber from only California-generated waste tires processed in California) for compatibility with other funding sources. Expenses incurred that do not meet the requirements of this grant will not be reimbursed, even if done to comply with the requirements of other funding sources.


  1. Is Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) the same as Asphalt Rubber Hot Mix (ARHM)?

    RAC is the term often used at CalRecycle to refer to rubberized pavement, both ARHM and rubberized chip seal. ARHM refers to the rubberized hot mix pavement material.

  2. Is there a difference between Rubberized Emulsion Aggregate Slurry (REAS), Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC), and Chip Seals? Would REAS meet the grant's criteria? Why or why not?

    Yes, there is a difference. REAS does not meet the grant criteria because REAS is a slurry seal product, which is not eligible under the grant criteria.

  3. Can either Rubberized Asphalt Concrete (RAC) hot-mix or chip seal applications be designed as permeable paving?

    RAC hot-mix has about the same permeability as conventional hot-mix pavement. While gap-gradation is used for hot-mix, (some of the finer sands removed from the aggregate sieves), a higher binder content is added, so the surface sheds rainwater (not percolate). It may be designed to have some level of permeability (e.g., open graded). Conversely, RAC chip seal has a very low permeability due to it being a seal coat.

  4. Can the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program be used for parking lots?

    Yes. However, CalRecycle does not recommend the use of gap-graded rubberized pavement in parking lot applications due to the highly resilient nature of the material, which is more conducive to dynamic loading (roadways) instead of the static loading typically encountered in parking lots. Additionally, vehicle tight turns in a parking lot will cause premature rutting and failure of the pavement.


  1. How much money is allocated for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program? And what is the grant maximum?

    A total of $7,750,000 is available for this grant cycle, fiscal year 2017–18, subject to funding availability. The maximum grant award for hot-mix and/or chip seal project(s) is $350,000. The maximum grant award, if applying as a regional applicant, shall not be greater than $500,000. The Lead or a participating jurisdiction is limited to no more than $350,000 of the grant award.

  2. Our City will be a first time applicant this year. For future reference, what is the cost difference that CalRecycle will cover for repeat applicants?

    Repeat applicants with only one (1) previous grant have the option for the full differential cost. After one previous grant however, repeat applicants are no longer eligible at the full differential cost. They would be reimbursed at a flat rate based on the table on Page 6 of the Application Guidelines and Instructions document. For example, applicants in San Bernardino County with two to three previous grants would be reimbursed at the flat rate of $7 per ton. For four to five previous grants, it would be at $4 per ton. Once an applicant reaches six grants, they are no longer eligible for hot-mix projects, but may still be eligible for rubberized chip seal grants. It is important to reference the Application Guidelines and Instructions with each application for approved reimbursement rates.

  3. If the actual bid results we receive for our next paving project reveal a cost differential that is different than what we indicated at the time of application, how much will we be reimbursed based?

    Reimbursement will be based on the actual cost differential, regardless whether the differential cost indicated at the time of application is greater or less than, up to the grant award amount.

  4. Are matching funds required?

    Matching funds are not required.


  1. What is the purpose of a Resolution? Please advise or provide a sample resolution? We checked the available online forms, but didn’t see a Resolution sample to follow. Can you provide one?

    A Resolution is required for any entity which is subject to a governing body. The purpose of a Resolution is to provide:

    • Authorization from your governing body to submit an application(s).
    • Designation of the job title of the individual authorized to sign all documents necessary to implement the program (Signature Authority).
    • If permitted and/or authorized by your jurisdiction, authorization for the Signature Authority to delegate his/her signature authority to another.
    • The number of years that these authorizations are effective, up to a maximum of five years.

    Refer to the Resolution and Letter Examples webpage for example Resolutions.

  2. When I submit the Project Summary and Calculation spreadsheet, do I need to enter all streets in each neighborhood? There are about 20-30 streets in each neighborhood. The last grant that we applied for, we simply entered the neighborhood name and put “Various Streets” for the Limits. Will this be acceptable for this year’s application?

    All streets must be listed and entered in the spreadsheet so that they are “reportable and searchable” in our database. The Project Summary and Calculation spreadsheet has samples on the last three tabs of the document. Various options are displayed showing different ways to enter street names and group data for easy-to-follow calculations, including tonnage.

  3. Regarding the regional application process, 1) are regional applicants required to have a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or Contract in place in addition to each jurisdiction providing a resolution? If so, do you have a sample MOU? And 2) does the lead agency receive all of the funds and distribute to the participating agency or does CalRecycle distribute the funds directly to all the agencies?

    As stated on page 4 of Application Guidelines and Instructions, under Regional Application Requirements, if the work performed is subject to a written agreement (a contract or MOU) between the Lead and participating jurisdictions, a copy of the agreement must be provided with the application. Additionally, participating jurisdictions must provide either a Resolution or Letter of Authorization authorizing the Lead to act on their behalf. Examples are on our website.

    CalRecycle will direct all official correspondence and grant payments to the Lead.