1. How is this grant solicitation different from last year?

    Changes were made to how often you can apply. Prior to this grant cycle, applicants were required to wait a year before they could reapply. Applicants can now apply for and receive grants in consecutive fiscal years. However, applicants who received a Rubberized Pavement Grant in the last fiscal year will rank lowest in funding priority if the grant is oversubscribed.

    Changes were made to the maximum grant amount, reimbursement rate, and funding consideration for regional applications.

    • Regional applications will be reimbursed at program maximums (100 percent of the $10 per ton base rate ($10 per ton) for rubberized asphalt concrete hot-mix and 50 cents per square yard of rubberized chip seal) regardless of the reimbursement rate that a lead or participating jurisdiction would otherwise receive.
    • The maximum grant award is $400,000 for regional applications, with lead or participating jurisdictions limited to no more than $250,000 of the grant award.
    • If oversubscribed, provide priority funding consideration for regional applications.
    • Participation in a regional application will not count as a past grant received when considering future grant awards.

    Please refer to the Request for Approval for more information.

  2. Is there any penalty or “black mark” against the agency other than loss of grant funding should the second phase/segment not be completed by the April 1, 2018, grant deadline?

    The Application Guidelines and Instructions state that applicants that were awarded any rubberized asphalt concrete grants in the previous three fiscal years, but either withdrew their grant or used less than 50 percent of their grant award, will be considered only after all other eligible applicants have been awarded.

  3. Can you make changes to the project location after application deadline?
    Can you subtract or add quantity after application deadline?
    Can an agency change a roadway to be paved after approval of the funding?

    You cannot make any project changes (i.e., street substitution, quantity changes) after the application deadline of December 10, 2015. However, once an award is approved and you receive the Notice to Proceed e-mail, you are allowed to request project changes, subject to grant manager approval. The Procedures and Requirements document states that proposed changes or modifications to the approved project(s) must be requested in writing to the grant manager. The request must include the reason for change and a revised Project Summary and Calculation. Keep in mind that the total of all reimbursement(s) for all completed and proposed projects shall not exceed the amount of the original grant agreement. For more details, refer to the Procedures and Requirements on page 5, under the Work Plan and Changes/Modifications section.


  1. I am the president of our homeowner association. We are responsible for our streets maintenance as well as their repair and replacement. I would like to know, if we would qualify for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program.

    No. As specified in the Application Guidelines and Instructions, eligible applicants are limited to:

    • Local Governments (cities, counties, and cities and counties) as defined in Public Resources Code section 48617.
    • Other local governmental agencies (including regional park districts, special districts, and Joint Powers Authorities [where all JPA members are also otherwise eligible applicants]).
    • State agencies (including offices, departments, bureaus, and boards). State agencies are only eligible for projects for Class 1 bikeways, greenways, and disability access at parks – see Projects for specific limitations.
    • Qualifying Indian Tribes. A “Qualifying Indian Tribe” is defined as an Indian tribe, band, nation or other organized group or community, residing within the borders of California, which:

      (1) is recognized for special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of the status of its members as Indians; or

      (2) can establish that it is a government entity and which meets the criteria of the grant program.

  2. May we have projects start construction in 2016 and/or 2017? I would like to apply for this year’s solicitation, however, I have a question regarding eligibility and timeline. I have a construction project in progress now and we’re planning to place the rubberized asphalt concrete material in a week or two. Right now, we’re doing concrete work, milling operations, pavement repairs. Is this project considered eligible?

    No. As stated in the Application Guidelines and Instructions, “Eligible costs may be incurred only during the Grant Term, which starts on the date indicated in the Notice to Proceed from CalRecycle and ends on April 1, 2018,” when the FY 2015–16 Grant Cycle term ends. Your jurisdiction is allowed to do any bidding, preconstruction, etc. that is necessary for construction; however, the overlay of the rubberized asphalt concrete material must be within the Grant Term.

  3. Because of the ambient temperatures at this time of the year, the paving season is ending and it will resume next April. Under the current construction contract we have in place, will my paving project under this contract be eligible for this grant cycle? It will resume next spring.

    Under your current contract, only those streets that are paved within the Grant Term are eligible. The Grant Term starts on the date indicated in the Notice to Proceed from CalRecycle and ends on April 1, 2018. Streets that are paved outside the Grant Term are not eligible for reimbursement.

  4. Can this be used for repaving the roadways within the city campground or at a new park that is being developed for the parking lot? If we are eligible to do the two named projects, do they meet the requirement for a combined project as stated in the application instructions?

    As described in Question 1 of this section, both of these types of projects would be eligible. Parking lots are eligible; however, CalRecycle does not recommend the use of gap-graded and field-blended rubberized pavement in parking lot applications. This is due to the highly resilient nature of the material, which is more conducive to dynamic loading (roadways) instead of the static loading typically encountered in parking lots. Additionally, vehicle tight turns in a parking lot will cause premature rutting and failure of the pavement. These two aforementioned projects can be combined in order to satisfy program minimums (3,500 tons for hot-mix project; 40,000 square yards for chip seal project).

  5. Are city-owned, city-maintained, but no public access (due to gated area) roadways eligible for this grant? How about privately-owned, but city-maintained?

    Only roadways that are owned and maintained by the applicant or an otherwise eligible entity, regardless of public access, are eligible for the grant.


  1. Compared to a public agency, our project is relatively small and consists of 140,000 square feet of rubberized slurry and 5,000 square feet of rubberized pavement. Is the small project eligible?

    Rubberized slurry is not eligible due to the very minimal amount of rubber contained in the slurry. The minimum material requirement for the grant is 3,500 tons. Based on 5,000 square feet of rubberized pavement, assuming material depth of one inch, that is approximately 30 tons of material. Therefore, this project would not meet the eligibility requirement of a minimum of 3,500 tons.


  1. How much money is allocated for the Rubberized Pavement Grant Program? And what is the grant maximum?

    A total of $7,550,000 is available for this grant cycle, fiscal year 2015–16, subject to funding availability. The funding of project(s) is based on the amount of rubberized asphalt concrete material proposed and number of previous CalRecycle rubberized asphalt concrete/pavement grants received. The maximum grant award for hot-mix and/or chip seal project(s) is $250,000. The maximum grant award, if applying as a regional applicant, shall not be greater than $400,000. The Lead or a participating jurisdiction is limited to no more than $250,000 of the grant award.


  1. What is the purpose of a Resolution? Please advise or provide a sample resolution? We checked the available online forms, but didn’t see a Resolution sample to follow. Can you provide one?

    A Resolution is required for any entity which is subject to a governing body. The purpose of a Resolution is to provide:

    • Authorization from your governing body to submit an application(s).
    • Designation of the job title of the individual authorized to sign all documents necessary to implement the program (Signature Authority).
    • If permitted and/or authorized by your jurisdiction, authorization for the Signature Authority to delegate his/her signature authority to another.
    • The number of years that these authorizations are effective up to a maximum of five years.

    Refer to the Resolution and Letter Examples web page for example Resolutions.

  2. We have an Environmentally Preferable Purchasing and Practices (EPPP) policy in place, but what is an EPPP Notification Document? Is there an example you can provide or direct me to find online?

    The EPPP Notification document is only required for organizations that do not have or adopt a new policy during the application process. The EPPP Policy Notification document is available on the Summary tab of the application. Requirements on EPPP Policy is included in our Application Guidelines and Instructions. In addition, EPPP Information, which includes links to examples of existing EPPP Policies and concepts that CalRecycle encourages organization to include, is available in the Summary tab of the application.

  3. We have numerous locations which will receive rubberized asphalt concrete hot-mix or rubberized chip seal material. May we upload a summary document or just indicate “various locations” on the Project Summary and Calculation worksheet?
    Does the project need to be fully defined by exact streets and locations within the city, or can the city just commit to using a certain amount of tonnage?

    All streets must be listed and entered in the worksheet so that they are “reportable and searchable” in our database.

    The Project Summary and Calculation spreadsheet has samples on the last three tabs of the document. Various options are displayed showing different ways to enter street names and group data for easy-to-follow calculations, including tonnage.