- To obtain consistent long-term compliance at solid waste facilities
- To ensure that solid waste operations are not creating a nuisance, hazard, or threat to public health and the environment
- To provide efficient and effective use of LEA resources,
- To ensure that on any given day a solid waste facility can pass a CIWMB inspection.
Obtaining compliance through on-going education:
- Inspector education
- Management education
- Operator education
- Planning Department education
Obtaining compliance through the inspection report:
- Details! Details! Details!!
- Follow up with positive comments
Obtaining compliance through established relationships:
- Always based on mutual respect
- Learn the operations beyond what is needed to do the inspection
- Review draft documents and letters
- Research regulations and procedures for the operator
- Obtain assistance from CIWMB
- Rotate inspectors
Please note this is an outline of the presentation given on March 11, 2004 at the 7th LEA/CIWMB Conference.