Below is an alphabetical listing of resources of use to local enforcement agencies (LEA) related to compostables.
Alternative Daily Cover
- Alternative Daily Cover Investigation Report. Results from 2014 investigation of use of various materials, including processed green waste, as alternative daily cover.
- Alternative Daily Cover Whitepaper (2009)
Air Emissions and Air Districts
- California Air Districts: A list of links to regional air pollution control districts and air quality management districts. In California, local air pollution districts set operational rules and limitations for businesses, including composters, that emit significant amounts of "criteria pollutants."
- Rules by Air District: Local air districts enact rules for "stationary sources" of air pollution such as emissions from compost facilities.
- Research on Air Emissions from Composting and Other Facilities
Anaerobic Digestion (AD)
- Program Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for AD Facilities (2011)
- Current Initiatives, Guidance, Projects and Resources
- Anaerobic Digestion: What is it and Who is Doing it?
Biosolids: Biosolids are the nutrient-rich by-product of wastewater treatment, generated by channeling human waste through treatment plants and collection systems.
- Agricultural Uses of Biosolids and Other Recyclable Municipal Residues: A paper by P.D. Millner, L.J. Sikora, D.D. Kaufman and M.E. Simpson
- Bioaerosols and Composting: A literature evaluation from Ireland.
- Biosolids Management: A CalRecycle web page that includes information on usage, classifications, land application, composting, alternative daily cover, landfilling, incineration and other resources.
- Biosolids Technology Fact Sheets: Fact sheets by the U.S. EPA on biosolids management.
- National Academy of Sciences: A 2002 report by the National Research Council on “Biosolids Applied to Land.”
- National Biosolids Partnership: An informational web site on biosolids policy in California and nationwide, including recent court cases and agency rulings.
- San Luis Obispo County Biosolids: San Luis Obispo County Environmental Health bulletins and reports on biosolids.
- Sewage Sludge: A Cornell Waste Management Institute web page.
Food Scrap Composting: Information and resources to help reduce food waste and save money on disposal costs.
Glossary of Terms: Definitions of commonly used compost-related terms.
- LEA Advisories: Provide guidance to LEAs in performing their duties.
- Safely Disposing of Waste Meat, Poultry, and Fish Material: Guidance and FAQs
Links: A list of links to external web sites related to compostable materials.
- California Counties: A list of links to California county web sites.
- Cornell Composting: This website is maintained by the Cornell Waste Management Institute and provides access to a variety of composting educational materials and programs developed at Cornell University.
- San Francisco Government Composting: Includes links to pages on basic composting, home composting, worm composting, curbside organics collection, collection for businesses, and principles for resource efficient landscape management.
- State Government links: Links to state government health and environmental agencies web sites.
- US Composting Council: A trade and professional organization promoting compost.
- US Environmental Protection Region 9: Region 9 (Pacific Southwest) is the regional office that includes California. This link describes their organics: compost initiatives.
News Releases: Use the search mechanism at the bottom of this page to find CalRecycle news releases related to compostable materials.
- Permit Forms: Forms used by LEAs and operators during the solid waste facility permit process.
- Permitting Resources: Information to assist in obtaining approval to operate a compostable material handling operation or facility.
- Permit Tier Placement Chart: A matrix summary of facilities and operations for which CalRecycle adopted tiered regulations.
Publications and Videos:
- CalRecycle Publications: Search CalRecycle's online catalog by key word.
- External Publications and Websites: A list of recommended publications and websites on the topic of compostable materials.
Regulations and Statutes:
- Current Rulemaking on Compostable Materials, Transfer/Processing, Permit Application Form, and Permit Exemptions: CalRecycle initiated the formal rulemaking process for the compostable materials, transfer/processing regulations on October 10, 2014
- Rulemaking Archives for the Revised Compost Regulations: Detail on the rulemaking processing during the development and approval of the 2003 regulations.
- Compostables Statutes and Regulations: Statutory and regulatory citations.
- Compost Training: Information on upcoming training and summaries and notes from past training sessions.
- State Minimum Standards at Composting Facilities: Several videos of presentations from a training offered by the CIWMB (now CalRecycle) to local enforcement agencies, solid waste facility operators and CIWMB staff during the Summer of 2007.
- State and Regional Water Quality Boards: Contact information for state and nine regional boards.
State Water Resources Control Board Regulation of Compost Waste: Provides information regarding the regulation of compost waste by State Water Resources Control Board and by Regional Water Quality Control Boards.
- Water Cross Media Coordination: Background and resources related to cross media coordination for compost use and production.
- Water Quality Conditional Waiver for Compost Operations, Issued by Regional Water Quality Control Board for San Diego Region in 2007 (Resolution No. R9-2007-0104: see page D-3, Section 8.II.B)