In recognition that multifamily recycling programs are important for California’s continued success in waste reduction and recycling, this information has been assembled to assist local jurisdictions in their efforts to develop successful multifamily diversion programs.
The CIWMB (now CalRecycle) conducted two workshops in September 2006 that were designed to assist recycling coordinators and other local officials who want to achieve greater success with recycling programs in apartments and condominiums.
The workshops provided an opportunity to hear from local government recycling coordinators that have implemented pilot and permanent programs targeting apartments and condominiums. The workshops also provided successful ideas and tools to meet multifamily housing recycling challenges, increase quantity and quality of recyclables collected, and reduce city and county per capita rates.
- Recycling in Multifamily Dwellings, A Model for Local Government Recycling and Waste Reduction: Information on multifamily housing in California.
- RethinkWaste.org multifamily pages: Information, tools, and ideas from the South Bayside Waste Management District (San Mateo County).
- StopWaste.org multifamily pages: Information, tools, and ideas from the Alameda County Waste Management Authority.
- Innovations: Recycling in Multifamily Dwellings: A case study from the CIWMB’s 2000 Innovations Videoconference.
- City of Toronto multifamily pages: Handbooks, handouts, and other necessary information for mandatory recycling program in Canada’s largest city, which has a goal of zero waste by 2012.