Procedures for Submitting Disaster Waste Disposal Reduction Claims

A jurisdiction may claim a disposal reduction credit for disaster waste. Changes due to disaster waste should be included in the Dispsoal Rate Calculator of the Jurisdiction’s Electronic Annual Report (EAR). In addition to completing the EAR, the jurisdiction must also submit a separate Reporting Year Disposal Tonnage Modification Request and Certification Form (CalRecycle 876) with the EAR for each year that disposal resulted from the disaster. This form has been created to assist jurisdictions with making a disposal reduction credit claim. The information to be provided is required in the California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 14, Division 7, Chapter 9, Article 9, sections 18794.0 9 (g), and 18794.2 (g).

Jurisdictions submitting a disaster-related disposal reduction credit claim must provide the following information:

  • Verification that the claimed disaster is a declared disaster or public emergency; that is, a local emergency or a state of emergency has been duly proclaimed. A state of emergency can only be proclaimed by the Governor. A local emergency may be proclaimed only by the governing body of a city, county, or city and county, or by an official designated by ordinance adopted by that governing body. Chapter 14 of CalRecycle’s disaster plan provides additional details on who may duly proclaim a disaster.
  • Supporting documentation of the tonnage being claimed for reduction credit.
  • Description of the diversion programs implemented to maximize the diversion of the disaster-related solid waste.

CalRecycle staff will notify a jurisdiction of the results of their analysis of a disaster disposal reduction credit claim in the annual report preliminary review letter sent to jurisdictions within 120 days of receipt of their annual report.

Jurisdictions should be aware that changes to a jurisdiction’s reporting year disposal amount will not necessarily be reflected in CalRecycle’s Disposal Reporting System (DRS) database.


For more information contact: Local Assistance & Market Development,