Be Familiar With Other Jurisdictions’ C&D Ordinances

It’s helpful to be familiar with other ordinances in surrounding areas. Contact your neighboring jurisdictions to find out if they already have a construction and demolition (C&D) diversion ordinance, or are in the process of developing one. Depending on the size of the jurisdiction, the person you would want to talk to will most likely work in one of the following departments:

  • Environmental management.
  • Solid waste management/recycling.
  • Public works, building or planning.

If they are already implementing an ordinance, talk with them about their experience with implementing their ordinance—for example, what works and what doesn’t, and what the basis was for their requirements (e.g., a deposit, waste management plan)—to determine if your own jurisdiction’s conditions are, or could be, similar. It is easier for a contractor to comply with an ordinance in a jurisdiction if it is similar to other C&D diversion ordinances in the surrounding area.

C&D Diversion Guide Home Know Your Infrastructure