There are many buildings that include notable environmental features. CalRecycle has compiled the following list of case studies to highlight a variety of sustainable design features. While these may be considered green buildings as a whole, every feature of each building's features may not be considered "green."
Most buildings are included on this list based on self-certification for green building design and construction. Some buildings may not meet the green building definition using the LEED™ Green Building Rating System or CHPS Criteria.
The buildings are included as examples for others who may be interested in learning about sustainable design features in their pursuit of designing and building green. Additional buildings, details, and contacts can be added to this dynamic list of buildings. Please provide information and corrections to Gregory Dick (email@example.com).
- Environmental Showcase Home : Greens the desert and saves "green" with a $30/month energy bill.
- CANMET: Showcases the use of recycled-content materials and construction practices that reduce waste in the building of several homes in Canada.
- Ecovillages: A residential community in Loudoun County, Virginia committed to sustainable development.
- The Tofte Project: An interactive website describing the earth-friendly remodeling of a 50-year-old summer cabin in the town of Tofte on the North Shore of Lake Superior.
- NW Federal Credit Union: This facility incorporates many wonderful examples of sustainability accentuated by beautiful views of downtown Seattle and Mt. Rainer.
- Patagonia: Green innovations at the Reno Service Center
- Vancouver Island Technology Park: This is the first project in Canada to achieve Gold certification under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED™) Rating System Version 2.0.
- Brown University: Watson Institute for International Studies Project plans to incorporate green objectives.
- Dalles Middle School
- Oberlin College's Lewis Center for Environmental Studies: A model for sustainable architecture and a living laboratory for students and the community.
Links to Other Web Sites With Case Studies
Some of these sites may contain overlapping information.
- Center of Excellence for Sustainable Development: Green building success stories.
- Green Affordable Housing Coalition: List of residential and commercial projects in the Bay Area.
- U.S. Green Building Council: Select comprehensive case studies.
- U.S. Department of Energy: High Performance Buildings Database
- U.S. Environmental Agency: Research Triangle Park.