Under the Electronic Waste Recycling Act, manufacturers of Covered Electronic Devices (CED) are required to annually report specific information on their covered devices. Manufacturers who must report are those whose brand-named devices are sold in California in the reporting year. Under the Act, all CEDs were required to be labeled with the manufacturer’s name or brand as of January 1, 2005.
The manufacturer report is due on or before July 1 of each year, covering the previous calendar year. The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) has guidance and a 2005 summary report available through its Publications website. Updated reporting template forms, revised in January 2020, are available to assist in complying with regulations:
- CalRecycle 242: This form is to help manufacturers meet the annual reporting requirements for CEDs sold in California. A separate form 242 is required for each brand.
- CalRecycle 242 Instructions
Report Content Requirements
- General Information.
- Sales Data.
- Material Reporting.
- Recyclable Content.
- Design for Recycling.
- List of Retailers Notified.
- Consumer Information.
- Manufacturer certification with original signature.
The manufacturer is responsible for the preparation of the report covering their activities, even if a “collective report” is submitted on their behalf.
Top Problems with Recent Reporting
- Failure to submit.
- Reports submitted late.
- Failure to submit information by brand.
- Reports did not contain all the required information.
- Manufacturer submitted with a collective report, but did not submit the other required information, therefore report is incomplete.
- Manufacturer submitted report without original signature.
Submit completed reports and supplemental documentation to:
Attention: Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Program, MS #9
P.O. Box 4025
Sacramento, CA 95812-4025
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
For further information regarding this report:
Phone: (916) 341-6269
Acceptable formats for submitting reports:
- Due to the regulatory requirement for an original signature, only a hard copy mailed to above address will be accepted. A return receipt is suggested.
As CalRecycle, in consultation with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), works to implement this important legislation, more information will be available through this website. Note that any guidance provided by CalRecycle should not substitute for careful reading of the original statute or subsequent regulations. Interested parties are encouraged to check back often, or subscribe to an email newsletter to be kept apprised of developments and events.