Information, resources, and examples for the SABRC category, plastic products.
- Minimum content requirement: for recycled plastic products, other than printer or duplication cartridges, the total weight shall consist of at least 10 percent postconsumer material. (PCC section 12209(f1)).
- Recycled printer or duplication cartridges shall comply with either the requirements set forth in subdivision (e) of Section 12156 or the general requirement for recycled plastic products set forth in paragraph (1). (PCC section 12209(f2)).
- At least 75 percent of the total dollars spent within this category must be used to procure recycled plastic products meeting the 10 percent postconsumer content requirement.
- For statutes specifically pertaining to recycled plastic products, refer to the plastics section on the Statutes Pertaining to the State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign.
- Please see the SABRC section on the State Agency’s Laws and Regulation webpage for SABRC legislation.
Example Plastic Product Categories
Plastic products include, but are not limited to:
- Office products
- Plastic lumber
- Plastic food service ware
- Printer or duplication cartridges
Note: Reused or refurbished products should be considered 100 percent recycled; no minimum content is required. For composite products, products made of more than one material type, please refer to the “Composite Product Reporting Policy.”
Importance of Procuring Recycled Plastic Products
Recycled plastic is produced in nearly every variation that new (“virgin”) plastic is produced. Buy recycled programs are essential to increase the economy of scale for recycled plastic production so that recycled plastic markets can compete with new plastic markets.
Misconceptions of Recycled Plastic Products
Some agencies are skeptical about using recycled plastic products in particular environments due to quality or content. However, the quality of recycled plastic products have greatly increased over the last few years and many now meet the same standards as virgin plastic products.
California Recycled Plastic Products, Materials, and Manufacturers*
- CalRecycle’s Recycled Plastic Programs: This web page lists the different programs available for recycled plastic products and materials.
- CalRecycle’s Recycled-Content Product Manufacturers Directory: A directory of California manufacturers who use recycled waste as a feedstock.
- Recycled Plastic Lumber: Overview of recycled plastic lumber, types of lumber, California manufacturers, and organizations for plastic lumber manufacturers.
- Recycled Content Construction Products Catalog: Catalog of products that meet CALGreen and the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED requirements.
- Rigid Plastic Packaging Manufacturers: Overview of the Rigid Plastic Packaging Container (RPPC) law and regulations, including the product manufacturer certification process, container compliance options, and product manufacturer violations and penalties.
- Plastic Bag Manufacturers: Annual summery list of those in compliance and those not in compliance with plastic trash bag certification requirements.
*Purchasing products from any of these manufacturers does not automatically guarantee compliance with SABRC, EPP, local air quality, or other agency specific requirements. Please purchase according to your agency’s minimum requirements or standards. Identification of individuals, companies, and products on this list does not constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. CalRecycle publishes this information to increase public awareness and to build markets for recycled content products. This list is not comprehensive.
Resources and Guidelines
- U.S. EPA Procurement Guidelines: EPA’s guidelines to comprehensive procurement for non-paper office products.
- The Imaging Equipment CriteriaPDF download requires the use of postconsumer recycled plastic.