Information, resources, and examples for the SABRC category, paper products.
- The minimum content requirement for recycled paper products should be at least 30 percent postconsumer (PCC section 12209(a)).
- At least 75 percent of the total dollars spent within this category must be used to procure products meeting the 30 percent postconsumer requirement.
- For statutes specifically pertaining to paper products, refer to the paper products section on the Statutes Pertaining to the State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign web page.
- Please see the SABRC section on the State Agency’s Laws and Regulation web page for general, relevant SABRC legislation.
Example Paper Categories
Paper types include but are not limited to:
- Corrugated boxes
- Paper janitorial supplies: toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissue, toilet seat covers
- File folders and hanging file folders
- Building insulation and panels
- Food service ware: napkins, plates, bowls, food trays, take-out boxes, placemats
Note: Reused or refurbished products should be considered 100 percent recycled; no minimum content is required. (PCC 12209 (l))
California Paper Manufacturers*
- Princess Paper
4455 East Fruitland Avenue
Vernon, California 90058
- AME Label Corporation
28324 Constellation Road
Valencia, California 91355
- Acorn Paper Products Company
3686 E. Olympic Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90023
*Identification of individuals, companies, and products on this list does not automatically guarantee compliance with SABRC, EPP, local air quality, or other agency specific requirements, nor does it constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. Please purchase according to your agency’s minimum requirements or standards. CalRecycle publishes this information to increase public awareness and to build markets for recycled content products. This list is not comprehensive.
Resources & Guidelines
- Recycled Paper. CalRecycle’s website on recycled paper has information on recycled-content product manufacturers and purchasing cooperatives.
- Buy Recycled. CalRecycle’s website contains additional program overviews and buy recycled activities.
- Department of General Services Office Paper Products. Includes links to statewide recycled paper contracts. Different types of paper and envelopes are included.
- Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines. U.S. EPA’s guide for paper and paper products includes a manufacturers and suppliers database, catalogs and product definitions.
- Office Depot Buying Green Catalog. Offers recycled paper, envelopes, and forms options.
- Staples Sustainable Products. Offers recycled paper and office supplies options.
- Conservatree. A comprehensive website that provides technical assistance with selecting environmentally preferable papers.
- Green Purchasing. StopWaste’s website explains benefits of purchasing postconsumer paper products.
- Sustainable Food Service WarePDF download. Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council’s resource on purchasing sustainable food service ware.