Information, resources, and examples for the SABRC category, paint products.
- Minimum content requirement: 50 percent postconsumer (PCC section 12209(g)).
- Of all the paint purchased, at least 50 percent of the total dollars spent within this category must be used to procure recycled paint meeting the 50 percent post-consumer content requirement.
- For statutes specifically pertaining to recycled paint, refer to the paint section on the Statutes Pertaining to the State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign.
- Please see the SABRC section on the State Agency’s Laws and Regulation web page for general, relevant SABRC legislation.
Example Paint Categories
Paint types include, but are not limited to:
- water-based paint
- graffiti abatement
- interior and exterior
- low-VOC paint/primer
- asphalt sealer
Note: Reused or refurbished products should be considered 100 percent recycled; no minimum content is required.
Misconceptions on Recycled Paint
Some agencies are skeptical about using recycled paint in particular environments due to quality or content. However, paint quality and standards have changed dramatically over the last few years. Please go to our “Misconceptions on Recycled Paint” page to discover the truth about recycled paint.
California Recycled Paint Manufacturers*
- Visions Recycling
4105 South Market Court, Suite A, Sacramento, CA 95834
Phone: (916) 564-9121
Visions Recycled paint is available at retail locations throughout California. Contact Visions to find the location nearest you.
- Amazon Paints
779 Palmyrita Ave., Riverside, CA 92507
Phone: (951) 588-0206
Locate the nearest retail location that sells Amazon paint: Amazon Select Paints
1001 W. Kirkwall Road, Azusa, CA 92507
Phone: (888) 824-6880
Products available at http://paints4less.com/
*Purchasing paint from any of these manufacturers does not automatically guarantee compliance with SABRC, EPP, local air quality, or other agency specific requirements. Please purchase according to your agency’s minimum requirements or standards. Identification of individuals, companies, and products on this list does not constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. CalRecycle distributes/publishes this information to increase public awareness and to build markets for recycled content products. This list should not be considered comprehensive.
Resources and Guidelines
- Recycled Latex Paint
- DGS’s Buying Green Guide: The DGS Buying Green Guide lists green contracts, specification standards, buying tips, and resources. Paint is listed under “Building and Maintenance” within the guide.
- PaintCare Stewardship Program: Learn where to drop off unused, leftover paint at no cost.
- Recycled Paint Presentation: Overview on recycled paint, paint recycling and what is SABRC-compliant paint.