Information, resources, and examples for the SABRC category, Lubricating Oil products.
- Minimum content requirement: 70 percent postconsumer (PCC section 12209(e)).
- At least 75 percent of the total dollars spent within this category must be used to procure recycled lubricating oil products meeting the 70 percent postconsumer content requirement.
- For statutes specifically pertaining to lubricating oil products, refer to the lubrication oils section on the Statutes Pertaining to the State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign web page.
- Please see the SABRC section on the State Agency’s Laws and Regulation webpage for SABRC legislation.
Example Lubricating Oil Categories
Examples of lubricating oils include, but are not limited to, any oil intended for use in a:
- Power steering
- Differential chainsaw
- Transformer dielectric fluid
- Heavy equipment
- Machinery powered by internal combustion engine
Note: For reused or refurbished products, there is no minimum content requirement (PCC 12209 (I)).
Where to Find California Recycled Content Product Manufacturers*
*Identification of individuals, companies, and products on this list does not constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. CalRecycle publishes this information to increase public awareness and to build markets for recycled products produced by manufacturers in California. This list is not comprehensive.
Resources & Guidelines
- Engine Oil Licensing & Certification System (EOLCS): The American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Licensing & Certification System certifies quality and performance of engine oil products.
- Who Uses Re-Refined Oil and Why: Examples of a variety of organizations that utilize re-refined oil, and why using re-refined is so beneficial.
- Automotive Industry Positions on the Use of Re-Refined Oil: Statements from several large vehicle manufacturers regarding the use of API-certified re-refined oils.
- U.S. EPA’s Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines for Re-Refined Lubrication Oil: U.S. EPA guidelines and recommendations for procuring re-refined lubricant oil products, to include product specifications for engine lubricating oils, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils.
- CalRecycle Used Oil Publications: Miscellaneous publications produced by CalRecycle.
State Agency Procurement
State Administrative Manual Guidelines section 3628PDF download: State requirements when servicing fleet assets regarding reconditioned, used, or remanufactured automotive parts; re-refined or synthetic motor oil and lubricants. Requirements when servicing fleet assets.