Advisories to Dealers



The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) is responsible for administering the California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act, as outlined in Public Resources Code, Section 14500 et seq. You may view a complete copy of the law, recycling regulations, and other helpful information on the CalRecycle website.

You may be required to report and pay the applicable processing fee as a beverage manufacturer, or the California Redemption Value (CRV) as a distributor, if you are purchasing directly from an out-of-state supplier/manufacturer (including foreign countries) any of the following beverage product categories that are subject to California’s Beverage Container Recycling Program:

    • Wine coolers/distilled spirit coolers
    • Carbonated fruit drinks
    • Noncarbonated fruit drinks that contain any percentage of fruit juice
    • Carbonated water, including soda and carbonated mineral water
    • Coffee and tea beverages
    • Noncarbonated water, including noncarbonated mineral water
    • Carbonated soft drinks
    • Noncarbonated soft drinks
    • “Sport” drinks
    • 100 percent vegetable juice (in containers 16 ounces & under only)*
    • 100 percent fruit juice (in containers under 46 ounces)*

*Beverage products that are a blend or mixture of vegetable and fruit juices are subject to the CRV law.

Please contact the Registration Unit via email or by phone at (916) 323-1835 or complete the online registration form.

To ensure labeling compliance, please send a sample container for review and analysis to:

Attn: Registration Unit
801 K Street, MS 17-03
Sacramento, CA 95814

For additional information, please refer to California Beverage Container Labeling and Beverages Subject to CRV.

For more information, visit Beverage Container Recycling Home