June 1, 2017
To: All Interested Parties
Subject: Mid-Year 2017 Recycling Program Rates
This Notice reports mid-year 2017 changes to recycling rates, including: refund value per segregated pound, refund value per commingled pound, and containers per segregated pound for each type of California recycling program.
In accordance with Public Resources Code Section 14549.5, revised rates for aluminum, glass, plastic, and bi-metal beverage containers will be effective July 1, 2017.
This attachment shows the rates for refund value per pound and containers per pound by program type:
- Table 1 applies only to recycling centers (RCs) where individual consumer transactions take place.
- Table 2 applies only to material redeemed through reverse vending machines (RVMs). California Code of Regulations Section §2540(c) (1) requires RVM operators to be reimbursed at the applicable commingled rate. Exceptions can be made upon verification by the Division of Recycling, that the “reverse vending machine distinguishes 100% of the time between empty [CRV] beverage containers and other [non-CRV] containers”.
- Table 3 applies only to curbside programs (CSs).
- Table 4 applies only to certified drop-off / collection programs (CPs).
- Table 5 applies only to community service programs (SPs).
Note to Certified Recycling Centers: If changes to the refund value per segregated pound rates overlap a receipt and log period, complete a Shipping Report (DR-6) for the period with the old rate, and then complete a separate DR-6 for the period with the new rate. Failure to separate the weights may delay your payment, and CalRecycle will only reimburse operators at the lower rate for the entire reporting period.
This attachment is a refund value conversion chart for use by RC operators only, which reflects the refund values paid for consumer transactions. This chart provides refund values based on weight received, rounded to the nearest one tenth of a pound. This chart is not for curbside, drop-off / collection, or community service program transactions, or for materials redeemed through a reverse vending machine.
This attachment provides mid-year 2017 Individual Commingled Rate Survey Program (ICRS) Refund Values per Pound for qualified programs, and is used to determine correct payment to applicable curbside, drop-off / collection, and community service programs.
All qualified curbside, drop-off / collection, and community service programs not listed on Attachment 3 will receive payment at the statewide average refund value per commingled pound rates for all material types.
Please note that the ICRS program was suspended via Notice dated August 29, 2012. CalRecycle authorized extension of the rates for participants who earned Individual Commingled Rates for the 2013 calendar year. For participants who continue to qualify, Individual Commingled Rates will remain in effect until further notice.
ICRS Program Note: If you detect issues with Attachment 3, such as missing programs, or programs which may no longer be eligible for ICRS rates (e.g., decertified programs, split loads, expired or changed contracts, new sorting machinery or facilities), please contact CalRecycle’s ICRS Program Coordinator, Michael Vanderburg, at email@example.com, or (916) 327-2769.
If you have questions regarding this Notice or these rates, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (916) 323-0713.
Send written comments to:
CalRecycle, Division of Recycling
801 K St., MS 17-24
Sacramento, CA 95814
Mike Miller, Chief
Division of Recycling
- Attachment 1: Payment of California Refund Value. Effective July 1, 2017 (Excel | PDF)
- Attachment 2: California Refund Value (CRV) Per Pound--Recycling Center Conversion Chart. Effective July 1, 2017 (Excel | PDF)
- Attachment 3: 2017 Mid-Year Individual Commingled Rate Program--Refund Value Per Pound. Effective July 1, 2017 (Excel | PDF)