This page provides information on handling fees: what is a handling fee, what purpose do they serve, and how may a recycler be eligible for handling fee payments?
Handling fees are a subsidy from CalRecycle to convenience zone recyclers and derived from unredeemed containers, not the public trust. Handling fees are designed to subsidize convenience zone-based recyclers to promote a wider geographic dispersal than would be possible if unassisted. A recycler may be eligible for handling fees if the following conditions are met based on PRC 14514.7 and PRC 14525.5.1, including, but not limited to:
- The recycler is certified and redeems all CRV container types.
- The recycler is the only recycler in a convenience zone.
- The convenience zone in which the recycler is located has active status.
- If the recycler is a for-profit business and operating in an urban area, the recycler must be located on-site, or adjacent to, a beverage dealer. This naturally includes the supermarket that defines the convenience zone.
- If the recycling center is located in a rural area or is a non-profit business, it can be located anywhere inside the convenience zones.
- The recycler accurately completes the shipping reports in DORIIS, as required by CalRecycle.
- The recycling center accurately completes the monthly handling fee applications using the DORIIS portal, as required by CalRecycle.
For a more in-depth description of handling fees and qualification requirements, please read the following information:
For questions regarding Handling Fee Eligibility, please contact Convenience Zone Unit staff at HFSiteEligibility@CalRecycle.ca.gov or (916) 322-2231.
For information on the Handling Fee Payment Process or for questions regarding the status of a Handling Fee Claim, please contact Convenience Zone Unit staff at HFPaymentStatus@CalRecycle.ca.gov or (916) 322-2234.
Visit the Beverage Container Recycling Program’s Official Notices page for communications related to:
- Handling Fee Topics of Concern: July 1, 2008 Changes (5/21/08)
- Processing Fee and Handling Fee Cost Surveys Workshop Presentation (5/21/08)
- Handling Fee Guidelines: Information for recyclers about applying to receive handling fee payments (revised July 2015).