Waste Tire Enforcement Agency Toolbox
When a party outside of CalRecycle staff/tire enforcement agencies (TEA) has a grievance with a hauler, facility, or site, he/she may complete a Waste Tire Hauler/Storage Complaint form (CalRecycle 683). CalRecycle staff/TEAs use this form to review and investigate violations of statutory regulations. The following procedures are used by waste tire management enforcement staff to process complaints.
If a call is received regarding the submittal of a complaint, request that the complainant submit a Waste Tire Hauler/Storage Complaint Form, CalRecycle 683 (Updated 7/1/10) (Fillable PDF, 545 KB | MS Word, 65 KB) and submit it by one of the following methods.
- Mail to CalRecycle Hauler Section (address on form), which is responsible for entering both hauler and facility complaints.
- E-mail to WasteTires@calrecycle.ca.gov
- Fax to (916) 319-7605
A similar form or letter with all the pertinent information is acceptable. If the complainant is reluctant to complete a complaint form, staff/TEAs may fill out the CalRecycle 683 and submit it as above.
CalRecycle Hauler Section staff will:
- Enter the complaint information into the Waste Tire Management System (WTMS) database.
- Review complaint and send warning letters and/or refer to a CalRecycle inspector (if needed).
- Process the complaint based on complaint type (see table below)
|Complaint Type||Process Steps|
|Unregistered hauler on first or second offense||
|Unregistered hauler but hauler is registered|
|Unregistered/registered hauler with three or more offenses.||
|Facility or site||
|Facility or site and an unregistered/registered hauler||Follow steps above for each type of complaint. Include a copy of warning letter sent to the unregistered/registered hauler with facility or site complaint.|
CalRecycle inspector/TEA will investigate all complaints within 30 days of receipt of complaint. To refer complaints received to a TEA, the CalRecycle inspector must document the name/county of the TEA referred to on the complaint in the "office use only" section, notify Hauler Section staff, and retain a copy. Depending on whether the complaint is founded or unfounded, the inspector will do one of the following:
- Issue notice of violation (NOV), send copies of the initial investigation letter/inspection report and NOV within 60 days from receipt of complaint, and forward to Hauler Section.
- Follow up within 30 days from compliance date. If in compliance, continue with "complaint unfounded" procedures. If not in compliance:
- TEA forwards documentation to appropriate CalRecycle inspector for that county after discussion with inspector.
- CalRecycle inspector will draft Cleanup and Abatement Order or other appropriate administrative action.
If complaint is unfounded or administrative action is complete:
- Type a memo referencing complaint number regarding reason for closure or complete and note closure in inspection report.
- Send copy of memo or copy of inspection report within 60 days from receipt of complaint to the CalRecycle inspector for that county.
Close Out Complaint
CalRecycle inspector will:
- Input closure status and comments into the WTMS database.
- Send copy of memo/copy of inspection report to Hauler Section staff.
Hauler Section staff will:
- Attach memo/copy of inspection report to original complaint form in file.
- File memo/inspection report in closed complaint file.
CalRecycle Hauler Section Staff: Retain fiscal year for 1 year after closure (investigation or administrative action complete) and then transfer to departmental storage for an additional 3 years.